Author Topic: Any WY antelope hunters?  (Read 777 times)

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Any WY antelope hunters?
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:57:25 AM »
Well, my buddy, daughter and I drew antelope tags for the Thunder Basin area of Wyoming.  Its been a few years since I got to hunt that area and wondered if there is any new regs or problems I need to know about.  The last time I took my .223 to shoot a few dogs but the ferret program nixed that.  I was wondering if the area is still closed to p dog shooting.   Also, is it possible to use a 4 wheeler to retrieve game.  I know its possible and have seen the time I would have gladly paid a $100 fine to use a 4 wheeler to retrieve an elk but I prefer to be law abiding.  We have buck and doe tags so dragging 6 goats could get tiresome.  I never considered using a game cart or 4 wheeler before but when you pass 50 you start thinking about easier ways to do things.  My daughter was not too receptive to the idea of us using her western pleasure show horse to pack out the goats. We're driving about 15 hours so I try not to take anything I don't need or can't use.  I hope everyone receives a blessing, (i.e. gets to go hunting).

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Any WY antelope hunters?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »
I was hunting deer there two years ago.  At that time only certain areas were closed to P. dog hunting.  I think one of the maps I had of the place (Forest service map?) showed areas closed to prairie dog hunting.  One of the biggest disappointments was that there were roads and oil wells everywhere, you may not have to drag a goat very far.  I won't go back deer hunting but I sure wish I had an antelope tag on that hunt.  Also saw several elk.  If you can't get any prairie dogs try coyotes, I heard a bunch of them howling every night.  I saw lots of deer on my hunt but none were bigger than a fork horn.  I was a little miffed that I couldn't get away from the crowds, just too many roads.  I did see five mature antelope, all within easy range (50-150 yards) in 4 days of hunting.  I hunted the red hills area.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:51:51 AM »
Thanks SDS, my Forest service map is 1998 vintage, so I guess I need to update.  I hadn't thought of the coyotes but they could provide some fun.  I'll throw a mouth call in just in case.  With all the activity, (antelope hunters) I doubt if it would be worth taking an electronic caller.  I think some of the better deer hunting is in areas with fewer antelope.  Probably due to less hunting pressure.  I haven't deer hunted there since CWD became prevalent.

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
The red hills are pretty rough and broken, I saw a BUNCH of deer (I counted 69 in four days), just no shooters.  I'm sure there was a big deer or two around, but I'm also positive that they were pretty nervous from all the hunting pressure.  Interesting point 3 of the 5 big pronghorns were hiding out in the hills and broken country.