Author Topic: What's lead worth?  (Read 903 times)

Offline crabo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What's lead worth?
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
I am seriously considering casting my own bullets.  Premium cast bullets cost as much as premium jacketed and take longer to get. 

I decided that I am going to start collecting lead and finding sources for it.  If I can find some good sources, I may start casting. Here are some questions I have.

1.  What is a decent price for wheel weights? (I know free is best)

2.  Can tape on weights be used for anything?

3.  Is plumbers lead good and what is it worth?

4.  What is a good primer/resource to read to begin my education in casting?

Thanks,

Crabo

Offline John Traveler

Re: What's lead worth?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:15 AM »
1.  locally, automotive clip-on wheel weights are .50 to $1.50/lb

2.  tape on wheel weights contain cadmium.  avoid them.  Avoid salvaged battery lead too.  Very toxic fumes from melting.

3.  plumbers lead is almost pure lead and valued for black powder bullet casting.  up to $2.00/lb and more.  Good trading stock for BP shooters with lots of wheel weights.

4.  Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook provides Lyman's more than 100 years experience in bullet casting.  NRA publications are good too.
John Traveler

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »
Use to be I could get a 5Gal. bucket of w.w. at the local tire store for a 12pk of Bud. Now I have an acquaintance that works for a tire store, but doesn't drink. So I trade him shooting acces. One of the best books I have is Veral's book on casting. You'ld have to check with him to see if he still has it in print. The Lyman casting handbook is also a good place to start. But in all honesty, experience will be the best teacher. If you have a scrap yard close by, you might try them. But with China buying up lead, steel, copper, even they won't be real cheap. Good Luck!! We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
I don't know where you guys are, but in central Fla where I used to reside, several tire shops practically paid me to take their lead; seems they had to pay to have it removed as it's a hasmat item.  I now live in Ky. been here 2 yrs and still have about 50 lbs of ingots left.  I brought up almost 200 lbs of free lead.  I haven't checked here but in most larger cities they would rather pay than haul to a recycler.  Small towns and rural shops sell the lead for extra income.  In 2 weeks of checking chain tire shops; I had over 400 lbs of mixed ww's which cleaned and poured to over 350 lbs of ingots.  Bring several 5 gal plastic buckets; as they usually want to either keep their buckets or will accept an exchange.

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
A lot has changed in two years.   Two years ago the spot price for lead was $0.35/lb.  Now its $1.15/lb.

Offline dozer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 01:05:21 PM »
Not sure where you folks are, but I bought 650 lbs 2 days back at .40/lb and the dealer told me he was getting .38 from the industrial buyer for scrap lead.  I didn't get all he had, but I'm going back in a week or so to get the rest.
Doz