Author Topic: CVA KODIAK MAGNUM / NIKLE MOSSY OAK/ 50cal FOR $220 - Good Rifle?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: CVA KODIAK MAGNUM / NIKLE MOSSY OAK FOR $220 - Good Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »
I had the exact gun in .45 caliber. Had to send it back when it arrived for stock replacement as whoever assembled the rifle at the factory screwed it down so tight it split the synthetic stock. They were quick to replace it however with no questions asked. I tried several different powder and bullet combinations but the only thing consistent was that it would consistently throw bullets all over the place. I finally gave up and bought a .50 TC Encore, and all my problems went away. Maybe it was the caliber. Maybe you would have better luck with a .50 cal in that rifle, but I personally wouldn't give a nickel for another CVA. Others will surely tell you they love theirs.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: CVA KODIAK MAGNUM / NIKLE MOSSY OAK/ 50cal FOR $220 - Good Rifle?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:20:41 AM »

It is an excellent rifle for the money...I have read of nothing but good of them for those that use them regularly...Here's what some have to say about it..http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/55495/reviews.htm..and here is some helpful tips and a common sense approach to using one...http://www.bpghmag.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=11...It's all about finding the right load combination...And as a side note...this rifle has won more awards than most others...
First introduced in 2004, our Kodiak style guns have won more awards from major outdoor publications than any other muzzleloader – including Shooting Industry’s Golden Bullseye, Outdoor Life’s Editor’s Choice and Field and Stream’s Best of the Best.
...so I wouldn't worry too much about buying one...

Good Luck

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mangulator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »
I have the Kodiak Pro-Magnum in 50 cal. and love it. I have no problems to report!

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:25:35 AM »

It is an excellent rifle for the money...I have read of nothing but good of them for those that use them regularly...Here's what some have to say about it..http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/55495/reviews.htm..and here is some helpful tips and a common sense approach to using one...http://www.bpghmag.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=11...It's all about finding the right load combination...And as a side note...this rifle has won more awards than most others...
First introduced in 2004, our Kodiak style guns have won more awards from major outdoor publications than any other muzzleloader – including Shooting Industry’s Golden Bullseye, Outdoor Life’s Editor’s Choice and Field and Stream’s Best of the Best.
...so I wouldn't worry too much about buying one...

Good Luck

Mac

I agree with MAC on finding the right load. I have no experience with the Kodiak but have read a lot of good reviews about them. I have an Optima and it took a while to get it dialed in on the right load. For instance, a lot of guys really like using .44 bullet and around 250g. (50 caliber rifle) I couldn't get it to group to save my life. I shoot 300g xtp with 90-95g of 777 loose and will group inside 2 inches at 100 yards all day.

It takes time and patience to find the right load but once you do.....you will know it. Good luck and have fun with it.

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »
I have one and love it. I have not worked up a load for it, but what I am using now puts them in the black.