Author Topic: Need help with scope & rings.  (Read 378 times)

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help with scope & rings.
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
This is my first post, so I'd like to say hello to everyone.

My handi currently has 3-9x32 w/ weaver rings. The eye relief is 3" and I have the scope back as far as I can. I have to move my head forward a little more than I would like.

I plan on buying a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40 that also has a 3" eye relief. I'm set on this scope but I'm not sure on rings.

The rings I would like to buy are Weaver brand xtra high, extended quick detach style. #48449
They are .560" high.

Will this combo give me better eye relief, and also clear the hammer & the barrel.

Thanks   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need help with scope & rings.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:13 PM »
Welcome to GBO! You should be able to use medium or high rings, I've never had to use extra highs, although it depends on the scope, some of em have huge power rings/ocular bells. Read thru the FAQs and Help sticky, there are several links there on rings and bases that will answer your question. Are you using a Weaver #82 base by any chance?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
After Years of playing with rings... I now Only buy Milletts, And.. Millett sells a ring with a 1/2" Offset that should work well for your situation.~Ace~

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »
I Got a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x. Very nice scope, holds up to my .300 Wby. Magnum. Only thing is eye relief diminishes with zoom so watch out, i can't use shoot above 7x without getting knocked, but you don't have a .300 wby mag. I'm also sold on Leupold Rifleman rings i like them very much. I'd go with high rings myself, i always got too close between scope and hammer with mediums regardless of scope type. mostly the zoom ring got in the way and Trophy scopes got a decent sized one.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Govt Mule

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the fast replies.

I have Millet windage rings on a 10/22 and think they are very nice, but I prefer the Weaver brand.

There xtra high is not that tall compared to other brands. (.560") Also that scope dose have a big power ring and eye piece.

One of my concerns are will extended rings work?

I did read through the FAQs and tried to use the search but had no luck.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »
1" Low, .275" (6.9mm);
1" Med., .395" (10mm);
1" High, .525" (13mm);
1" Ex High, 1.025"

On the Milletts

Offline Govt Mule

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
I forgot to mention the base is the standard short H&R base.

I really like the Trophy series of scopes. I think they are great scopes for the money. I picked the 6-18 for its higher magnification but still staying somewhat medium sized. I didn't want a very long scope w/  hugh objective.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »
I have a 3-9x40 Trophy mounted on my 405 Winchester Target, it appears to have the same large power ring/ocular bell as the 6-18x Trophy, it's mounted in low Leupold QRWs, the hammer has been bobbed per the low profile hammer mods in the FAQs. The Trophy would require high rings due to the fat power ring/ocular bell without the hammer mod.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Like Tim, I use the Leupold QRW rings. One difference is for my handi's, I use them exclusively.

There are many great scopes out there. Unfortunately the one scope I will never recommend for a handi is the Bushnell TROPHY. Dont get me wrong, I think this is a fine economical scope, just not for a Handi. Because of the large power adjustment REQUIRES you to mount it high off the barrel. This is NEVER a good idea. A scope should be mounted as close the the barrel as possible.

Here is a couple pic's of handi's with the QRW's and a Leupold scopes:

Good luck,
 CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.