Author Topic: Fitting a new barrel  (Read 757 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Fitting a new barrel
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:27:49 AM »
Is is as necessary to professionally fit (return to factory)  a 50 cal BP barrel to a newer BC (SB2) as it would be a high powered barrel like 30-06?  I can see being careful with a high pressure round.  But if I get a used bp barrel, and if it fits fines, closes tight, etc do I still need to take it to a gunsmith?  Thanks.

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Fitting a new barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 04:53:50 AM »
verzilli,

I wouldn't think so as long as it opens and closes ok and locks up tight.  The muzzle loader barrel has a breech plug so there should be no head spacing issues but I'm sure others with far more knowledge than I will chime in soon.

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »
I agree, if it locks up tight. Look at the FAQ for barrel fitting, if it meets this criteria then you should be good to go. There should be no gaps in the barrel - Breach face interface. Look in the FAQ about how much is allowed, it ain't much.This means an improperly fitted barrel. This applies to ML as well as any other type of rifle. Looseness leads to inaccuracy. Every thing must return to the same exact location on lock up. Good luck ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 06:17:15 AM »
A few wraps of Duct tape should prevent a loose one from popping open. ~Ace~

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is a Joke 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 06:25:58 AM »
I've not fitted a Huntsman barrel yet, but it wouldn't be critical to get as tight a fit to the standing breech as a breech loading barrel is since there's no external pressure in the form of back thrust, just the recoil of the barrel. To be accurate and consistent though, it needs to lock up good and have good latch engagement so each shot is made in the same conditions, duct tape wouldn't be a good choice to maintain consistency. Also, if there's too much barrel to frame gap, the barrel will be loose in the frame and the firing pin may not impact the primer well.

As  LaOtto222 recommended, just use the barrel fitting info to get a good fit and you'll be good to go.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »
Thanks guys.  I thought as much.  If all else fails, I'll just glue it together with JB Weld...(just joking).