Author Topic: NE WY deer/antelope hunt  (Read 841 times)

Offline 24/7 hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
NE WY deer/antelope hunt
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:25 PM »
Hello. This is my first post on GBO. I have been lurking around for a while and finally registered.

My grandpa and I drew WY region C deer tags for this october. We also want to apply for antelope tags next week in the leftover drawing. They shpould be easy to draw. What we are trying to do is a DIY public land hunt. The thing about NE wyoming is that it is mostly private land. We have found some small public spots, but not much. Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction for a public land hunt near gillette or buffalo for deer and antelope? We were thinking of just going out there a couple days early to scout public spots and ask landowners for hunting permission. Anyone have a good starting point or other pointers on a hunt like this? thanks, any information is appreciated

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: NE WY deer/antelope hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:48:42 AM »
24/7,

That's the approach I took so many years ago with my first Wyoming tag.  I was afraid that the local ranchers would shun an out of state hunter, but that was not the case.

Search out the ranch house, or foreman's house on a ranch within your area.  Talk to them, and let them know you are on the up and up, and willing to pay a use fee for access to their property.  Chances are, they will be glad to get a couple more "goats" off their property.

Get there as early as possible, as scouting is a good thing.  The country is big, and sometimes it takes some looking around to find the antelope.  You'll do fine if you are courteous to the landowners, and respect their property.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: NE WY deer/antelope hunt
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »
Congratulations in getting a tag. I just applied for a region C tag in the leftover draw. I've hunted this area several times. The chamber of commerce in Gillette and Buffalo have landowner lists of ranchers looking for hunters. I've used the lists several times, with good success. I don't know if this info is ready at this time. There is also some walk on land. There is hunter management land too. Check the WY website. It's easiest if you have landowners set up ahead of time. They do charge access fees, they vary greatly from ranch to ranch. Contact the wildlife biologist for general info on wildlife populations in a specific zone. Good luck