Author Topic: new to casting  (Read 511 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
new to casting
« on: June 02, 2003, 05:59:59 AM »
i'm planning on getting into casting and have a few questions. i'm going to buy a .303(.311") bullet mold from lee and was wondering if i can use these with their classic loader kit. will this work or will i have to use a lube and a press? also is there such a thing as bad quality lead? i have about 100 pounds and can get more if i need it. some of it i bought for casting fish wieghts and jig heads, but most of it is leftover from mine smelter. you can get all you for free but my dad said it might not be good enough for bullets,just sinkers.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline richp41

• Trade Count: (0)
new to casting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 06:35:50 AM »
Before you do anything get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet loading manual and read, then reread it and memorize it. Failing that, you'll have many problems and put yourself in some danger. Lead bullet casting and loading, done correctly, is more complex than reloading jacketed bullets. Rich P

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
I think there is a possibility
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 08:15:28 AM »
Kevin,

I think there is a possibility that that might work.  If you just wanted to shoot your bullets at a lower velocity and not use gas checks, you could just swish them around in some Lee Liquid Alox in a plastic butter dish.

To seat gas checks, although I have never tried this, I think you could use one of the Lee sizing dies that is meant to be used in a press.  If you were to modify the use by turning it upside down over your Classic Lee Loader and tap them through in the same manner as you use the classic tool.  I believe it would work.

However you might consider asking this question to Lee at:  info@leeprecision.com and see what they think.  I think it would work.

Good luck.

Offline Shootingamigo

New to casting
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 01:41:52 PM »
My 2 cents worth. I agree with Rich P. The Cast book by Lyman would be the place to start. As far as the lead I think if anything it would be a soft lead that you would need to mix with something else to make harder possibly a wheelweight or lino or as a last resort 2% tin to make a 10-1 hard blend. The Lyman Cast book would cover all of this. Once you read it and decide what speed you are going to shoot you can blend what is necessary. I believe in sizing and lubing by machine but I am sure what Tom explained probably would work for you.

Shootingamigo

Offline Leftoverdj

new to casting
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 05:12:49 PM »
Lee usta make drive through bullet sizers. There are a pile of them in junk drawers across the country since the advent of the version for presses.

Put notices on the classified sections of a few of the boards and one will turn up. Ten bucks oughta cover it.

Easiest route would be to buy the press mounted push through and ask around for someone who will let you use their press for an evening. One evening will size more bullets than you are likely to shoot in a year.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.