Author Topic: HELP. Fathers day gift and i have no clue as to what i am doing  (Read 767 times)

Offline mstake

• Trade Count: (0)
Well my kids thought that i needed a pistol for fathers day. So they seen a pretty brass pistol and new i had to have it ( kids are 7 and 3 years old). It is a tradition 1851 navy. They also got me a pound of American pineer powder 3f, some round balls, and caps #10. So what do i need? I read were this thing called for lube or wades. What should i use and were do i get them. Any help on this would be great. Not my cup of tea but it was something my kids got me so i am going to make the best of it. thanks
life member of North American Hunting Club >1994 to present

Offline Flint

Re: HELP. Fathers day gift and i have no clue as to what i am doing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »
Read the sticky posting above entitled "Proper use of a cap & ball revolver" by Gatofeo, he has a very comprehensive article on loading and shooting there.  Maybe more than you wanted to know, but there are tricks and techniques people have learned and developed over the years, and the people who populate this website have a lot of experience, good and bad alike.

Disassembly is similar to the Colt disassembly article above that.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
sounds like a great gift from the kids.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
with the 1851 navy dont shoot over 25 grains alot. it will stretch the frame over time. but they are a lot of fun to shoot. hope you enjoy your fathers day gift.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
A simple source of lube that is often used is plain ole' Crisco, smeared over the front of the chamber after you seat the ball. Ther are other more exotic ways to do it, but Crisco is easy to locate and will work just fine.

It accomplishes two things... It helps to reduce powder fouling and seals the chamber to reduce the possibility of a chain fire (multiple chambers going off at once).

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
You can get the Wads from Track of the Wolf or other BP suppliers. I am not convinced that chain fires  happen from the front of the cylinder. I would be more likely to think it is flame getting in through a nipple that the cap fell off from. JMO