Author Topic: Range report .220 Swift Handi!  (Read 606 times)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Range report .220 Swift Handi!
« on: July 07, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Hey guys,

A few of you know I had Wayne York rechamber a .223 Ultra for me to .220 Swift. Well I finally had the chance to shoot it today. Could have picked a better day, it was 95.5 on the firing line with no wind at all.

After getting the scope set as close as I could hold it I got down to shooting a couple of groups. First thing I have to say is I was surprised at the velocity of the rounds compared to what the book said it should be. 36gr of H414 behind a 50gr VMax was cooking along at 3870 average speed.

Three shot groups were just under one inch at 100 yards. I believe with some work I can get that down smaller. But those VMax are right about going as fast as I think they can go. There was a small limb in front of the target by about 6 to 8 inches, (I had the target on a piece of cardboard using a downed limb to hold it up out in the field.) That limb was about the size of a pencil, I hit it on the last shot, it wasn't going to be, but it was the only target I had with me, it was one of the shoot and see targets. Well a VMax at that speed hitting a limb looked like someone had took a shotgun to the target!

I put a Barska 6.5-20x50AO scope on the rifle, it tracks very nice so far and held it's zero after I set it.
I can't wait to get to shoot this some more and get some grounghogs or coyotes or anything dumb enough to walk in front of it.

So all in all it is working out great, and Wayne York does very nice work. If any of you were thinking about this type of rebore I would give him a call.

Now to just get the painting finished on it and I will be happy... or as soon as I get a .17 Remmington made to go with it ....

Greg 
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Range report .220 Swift Handi!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
Good report Greg, glad you're finally getting to enjoy the swift!! ;)

Thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
Well there's an idea!!!!!!!! Good for you and I am sure you will get those groups down with some work.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
Dale,

I am sure they will come down with work. But I was wrong on the load, just tossed the brass in the tumbler to get it clean and looked at my notebook, I had 43gr of H414 in there. Something else I noticed as I was resizing the brass and tossing it in the tumbler, it grew .008" on the first firing! It went from 2.195 to 2.203, I am going to trim it all back again and see how it does.

Greg

P.S. Those are the stocks off my BC on it in the picture, but I painted the barrel and action the other night, I think it came out pretty good.

NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!