Author Topic: How old can you hunt?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
How old can you hunt?
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:27:37 AM »
As I approach the big seven-oh, I am beginning to wonder just how long a guy in reasonable health can hunt?  I know there are a lot of variables, but who is the oldest on this website?

Offline rockbilly

Re: How old can you hunt?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:49:42 AM »
I don't know about the oldest on the web site, but I have a friend who is still very active and continues to hunt deer and squirrel at 92 years old.  Three years ago he was the oldest sitting Master of a Texas Masonic Lodge.  I pray that if I live that long I will be in as good a physical condition as he is.  You and I are close to the same age, and I still do most everything I want.  I think the secret is staying active.

A while back, I got a big chuckle out of my friend, he had been hunting and killed several squirrels, I asked "do you eat them,"  he said "yes, they are good for you, very low in cholesterol."  I then asked, "how do you cook them?" He said, "I clean them, soak them in salt water in the frig over night, when I am ready to cook them, I rub the pieces down with pepper, then drop them in a big pot of hot bacon grease." 

I guess his style of health eating works, after all, it has got him to 92 years old.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 05:04:25 AM »
   Guys;
  I'll hit the seven & one in September..and I plan on hunting till I get planted..no sense dying before you actually do...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
 Star1pup:
       Got you beat and then some.  Best part of being the oldest in camp is i get the "senior discount."
       I don`t have to do anything except cook for everybody. That I enjoy.  Plus the "camp" is made up of all
       family.
       Sleep good. Eat good. The after dinner b/s stories are great.  Getting older just means you enjoy it more.
       As long as my legs carry me and my savage 99 around I`m good to go.   ;D

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 10:55:34 AM »
In Ohio I now get free licenses.  They changed it from everyone 66 & older to having to have been born before 1-1-38.  I just made it by a few months.  The kids born in 1938 still get a license at half price.  LOL!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
I guess it's all relative, George Burns used to call 70 year old men punks. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »
A guy I work with has a uncle who was 96 this past hunting season and he got three deer.Six pt. three pt and a doe. My grandpa turn 80 this year and it has not slowed him down from hunting or fishing.So I guess as long as you feel up to it keep on going after it.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
'til I cant squeeze the trigger myself any more

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
My friend is 82 he goes to camp with us every year. Although he has not carried a rifle in the last 4 years shooting hurts his old shoulder to much. He still goes out on hunts an passes along his savvy to the rest of us. He doesn't get as far from the vehicles as he use to, but thanks to ATVs like the rhino we can get him close to his old haunts and hot spots.  So depending what you want out of a hunt I'd say one could hunt for as long as the desire to be afield was still there.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356