Author Topic: warm weather hunting  (Read 486 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
warm weather hunting
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »
how do you people that live in warm climates take care of the deer once it is down?
how long do you have to get to it and field dress and skinned  before it goes rancid?

Offline rihmfire

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: warm weather hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
Down here in florida....we quarter the deer right after it is recovered
and put in a large coleman cooler.....and we keep in the cooler for
a few days....I tilt the cooler to let the water run out and add ice as needed..

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:15:38 PM »
I agree. Skin and quarter as fast as possible. If you don't have a walk-in cooler, butcher immediately, and package adn freeze. You will definitely enjoy better venison. In fact, aging a deer properly can really only be accomplished with a controlled enviornment like a walk-in, anything else is just rotting good meat.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »
I gut immediately and take the carcass with hide on to the Processor where it hangs in his cooler for three to five days depending on local success rate at which time he de-bones, grinds, cubes, steaks, and freezes the cuts I agree in advance to pay for.  It is good to hunt at home.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:04:27 AM »
Most of my deers are ground up, back straps and cubes. I do the work myself because I don't have $150 to  pay the butcher for simple cuts, then times it like 5 deer a season that is expensive! Doing the work my self lets me know just how the deer has been handled.

I am thinking about keeping my cooler on my trailer filled with ice and skinning and quarting the deer in the field and getting it in the cooler asap the only trouble is keeping a good supply of ice.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:57:18 AM »
Don't know if it'd help you southern boys or not, but when we go waaay back in, we load our ice chest with regular ice and then put a couple of 5# hunks of dry ice on top.  That keeps the regular ice frozen for a couple of days before it starts to melt.