Author Topic: Beretta 9000S for the wife?  (Read 565 times)

Offline navylawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Beretta 9000S for the wife?
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
I have thought about buying a Beretta 9000S in 9mm for the wife to carry but don't really know much about it. Does anyone on here have any experience with this little handgun? And do they make many concealed carry holsters for it? I can't seem to find any in magazines.

Navylawdog

Offline Newton

Re: Beretta 9000S for the wife?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:43:29 AM »
You really couldn't make a worse choice.  The Beretta 9000 is way too wide, has heavy controls, a long heavy "stagey" trigger, a low slide profile which makes the cocking serrations all but impossible to grip, and a grip that is about as ergonomic as a 2 by 4.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Women tend to do well with the H&K USPc 9mm, the S&W 3913 Ladysmith, and the Colt Mustang .380, I would also add the excellent SiG P239 in 9mm to the list.

If money is an issue, try her out with a BERSA Thunder in .380, very nice and very good value (just $260).

But avoid the Beretta.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »
Newton,

Thanks for the advice. I might go with the H&K then. I want to get her a 9mm because she already has a Bersa Thunder .380 but I want something with a few more rounds. What would you think about an XD compact?

Navylawdog

Offline minutemen1776

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:50:24 AM »
My cousin has one of the Beretta 9000 handguns, but in .40 S&W. He loves it. However, I agree that it's WAY too wide for a compact handgun. For me (with my short, thick fingers) the Beretta just doesn't fit, but the same can be said of just about any double-stack handgun on the market. I say all this because, as a general matter, women tend to have smaller hands than most men. If this is true for your wife, I'd look for a single-stack or a small revolver. The Bersa .380 already mentioned is a good choice. Personally, I prefer my S&W 3913, a 24-ounce single-stack 9mm. Though slightly heavier, it's offered in .40 S&W as the S&W 4013.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »
When selling guns I saw way too many husbands buying the handguns they wanted for their wives, NOT the best handgun for their wives. In most cases, automatics that the wives couldn't operate. They couldn't work the slides, for example. Not just racking the slide, but some couldn't release it either.

Best rule when buying a gun for the wife -- let her pick it out. Let her hold, feel, and point it, and make sure she can operate it. If your wife already has a Bersa, she is familiar with automatics, but again, let her pick it out. Maybe even a small .357 revolver like the SP101?

Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."