Author Topic: Best way to ship receiver into the factory?  (Read 958 times)

Offline Rj 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Best way to ship receiver into the factory?
« on: July 28, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
I am going to ship my receiver in to get fitted with a 243 BB and a 308 BB and was wondering the best way to ship it. I have a UPS store close by and am leaning that way, with the increase in USPS's charges on over-sized boxes. I will have to purchase a box so I figured I will let them pack it also. How have you guys done it and have you had any problems with damage? I also have another question: Will I have to have my gun with the barrels shipped to a dealer with a FFL or will they ship it back to me at my home address?

Thanks,
Rodney

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Best way to ship receiver into the factory?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »
USPS is easier in my opinion, just put it in a box that just fits and send it, the receiver and stock will not be oversized, do not mark what it is, get delivery confirmation.  They will send the receiver and barrels directly back to you by UPS.  I doubt that anyone at the UPS store will pack a gun for you.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »
UPS stores won't accept firearms for shipping, their rules, they must be shipped at a UPS Customer Center.

Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS Express CriticalSM service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

My favorite way is to ship the frame only and order a stock set, the frame can be shipped in a free USPS priority mail video box, insured with delivery confirmation for less than $10, delivery will be in 2 days. If you use Click-N-Ship, delivery confirmation is free, and there's no waiting in line, pack it, print a label with postage on your PC printer and drop it off at the USPS delivery dock or in a parcel drop in the lobby.

Tim

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11643&langId=-1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »
I ship mine USPS to NEF/H&R, and they return it through the Post Office as well.  The reciever and stock will fit into a small box, they will return it in a gun box.  No FFL required to ship to the manufactor and back to the individual owner.  You can also mail a long gun to yourself through the Post Office.  The only problem there is that many Post Offices don't know that.  Three weeks ago I tried to mail two guns, a .22 and .410 to myself from Dallas Texas.  It took three days, and a call to the North Pole Post Office, for them to figure out that it was legal.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
Ignorant people work at the USPS and UPS, just like anywhere else in the world, all a person has to do is be prepared and do your homework, show them their own regulations and the BATF laws. ;)

Tim

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c4_003.html#NL508_15

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 02:09:24 AM »
My favorite way is to ship the frame only and order a stock set, the frame can be shipped in a free USPS priority mail video box, insured with delivery confirmation for less than $10, delivery will be in 2 days. Tim

Can you just send the frame back only and get a barrel without ordering a stock set? Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:15:28 AM »
Some folks have, but I don't know if they'll test fire it or not if there's no stock.

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 06:43:59 AM »
What they told me about a year ago is that if you don't send or order a stock , all they do is the ( 1 ) over- max proof shot and not the group rounds .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »
In March I fought a battle to return my Charter Off Duty .38 in for repairs.
PO, flat refused to take a handgun.
FedEx, UPS both:  over night exp  $74 etc. F that!!

Ended up taking the cyl out, put it all in the factory box and sending as machined parts.

Two weeks later I'd been in the shop most of the day and came in to eat and checked the mail.

There was a Priority box tossed on the porch. It did have a tamper proof tape seal on it. But, otherwise there it was!!

Happened to have another shooter here at the time and since I knew he'd never believe me.

I gave him a box cutter and the box to open it up.  Messed his drawers when he saw it was a fully
functioning .38 pistol.

Could have been a box of rubbers, or full of dirty socks, or anything else. But, there it was, just tossed on the porch like any other box is.  Shocking!

Charter claimed:  "we never send them out like that!!"  When I had my witness verify that he did in fact open the box and that's what he found in it, they stopped replying.

Cover thy arse is all I can say fellas,

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »
USPS and the BATF rules prohibit an unlicensed person from shipping a handgun by mail, but an FFL or Law enforcement agency can ship em. Just because it was a priority box doesn't mean it was shipped that way, the boxes are free at the post office, UPS is notorious for leaving parcels on porches and not requiring signatures, the last rifle I got delivered by them was left on my back porch leaning against the door, "signature required" label in plain sight!!  ::)

Tim

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

432 Mailability
432.1 General
The following conditions apply:

a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as "handguns") are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 USC 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.2 b and c.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c4_003.html#NL508_15

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
In March I fought a battle to return my Charter Off Duty .38 in for repairs.
PO, flat refused to take a handgun.
FedEx, UPS both:  over night exp  $74 etc. F that!!

Ended up taking the cyl out, put it all in the factory box and sending as machined parts.

That's a damn good way to get your butt in trouble, and a very ignorant thing to do, I would NOT recommend anyone doing that, if caught it's punishable by very stiff fines and jail time, thru the mail or UPS, either one, doesn't matter.  >:(

Tim

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
Tim:

The ONLY lable on that box was the address lable from:

Charter 2000
address xxx                     

To: George
                                          Pueblo CO

LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline snmann

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 04:09:58 AM »
I took my Handi to Gander Mt. and they put it in their mail.  The whole rifle needed to sent in.  I sent it back in the original box.  You should have seen the look on the guys face at the UPS store when the box said, "Caution:  Firearm" on the side.  We wouldn't even touch it.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 04:52:15 AM »

That's a damn good way to get your butt in trouble, and a very ignorant thing to do, I would NOT recommend anyone doing that, if caught it's punishable by very stiff fines and jail time, thru the mail or UPS, either one, doesn't matter.  >:(

Tim

Sure wouldn't be telling about it on an open forum! ATF might be making you a visit in Pueblo.

Bill

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I can mail a pistol to a FFL or back to the factory for repairs on UPS correct? Thanks, Charlie

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 05:23:24 AM »
Yes, please see their rules.

The important parts....
You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
When you  are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Tim