Author Topic: Feedback on fluted barrels?  (Read 480 times)

Offline snood

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Avid Poster
Feedback on fluted barrels?
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »
I'm considering a .243 fluted....any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Feedback on fluted barrels?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:17:18 PM »
I have a 204 fluted barrel. I like it alot. I think the flutes look nice and they may take a little weight off but probably not enough to notice. The 243 is a nice round and one of the more accurate calibers in the Handi. Either way you go fluted or other wise you should like it.    Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Feedback on fluted barrels?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:55:52 AM »
Fluted barrels look cool ;D Other than that they do not do much for you. As Dale pointed out they save a little weight, not much; a few ounces. I have read where people have stated that it makes the barrel "stiffer". That is hog wash. They are stiffer than a skinny barrel, but not stiffer than a full rounded barrel. You can not take material away and be stiffer, period. Then there is the cooling...more surface area. I do not think this makes much of a difference either. If the flutes are not cut correctly (that is the barrel is heated up during the machining) they can get residual stresses put in or taken out that will cause accuracy problems. You do not see serious bench rest shooters using fluted barrels. There is a reason for that. They are cool though . Did I mention they are cool?;D I have a stainless steel fluted barrel on a Stevens 200 and it is great looking. I bought it on sale ($100 + barrel wrench), other wise I would not have gotten it. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.