Author Topic: Hammer Springs  (Read 275 times)

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hammer Springs
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »
I have a Model 157 Handi (Old Model) that I believe has a broken hammer spring.  Ordered one from Numerich that was listed in their parts list of the Model 157.  What I got was a hammer spring with only one leg.  Looking at the parts schematics the newer model Handis have a hammer spring with only one leg, while the older models have a hammer spring with two legs.

My question is, can I use the one legged spring on my model 157?

Roudy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hammer Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
I can only answer part of your question, I tried to use the double spring with a modern hammer and it wouldn't work, wouldn't work with an older hammer in a  new frame either, but in an old frame the late single leg spring might work, but the anchor point on the hammer if it has one, is different. I tried bending one of the double springs to make it work, but it broke, sent the rest back for credit.

What will work with an old hammer is a 60 cent hairpin spring from the hardware store, it can be bent to what ever shape needed if there's an anchor point on the hammer.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
I thought I had one of the hardware store springs, but I used that last one I had. If your hammer doesn't have the anchor point on one side, but it does have a hole for an anchor, a roll pin from the hardware store can be knocked in the hole to serve as an anchor for the single spring. See my hammer mod part 2 in the FAQs, here's a short cut to it.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,117435.msg1098382159.html#msg1098382159
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Tim,
Thanks for the suggestion.  Numerich had the spring listed for a Model 157......I think their catalog may be a click off.

Roudy