Author Topic: ejector problem  (Read 586 times)

Offline Headspace

• Trade Count: (0)
ejector problem
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:47:58 AM »
I have a 25 06 Ultra Hunter. I have been getting very erratic groups varying from 3/4" to 3 1/2" at a hundred yards. Yesterday at the range I realized the cartridge was slipping past the ejector and going into the chamber. I didn't think it was a problem. But when I placed the cartridge so the ejector put the cartridge into the chamber my groups went from 3 1/2 to 1/2 " at a hundred yards. I realized it wasn't head-spacing correctly. When I first got the gun the ejector worked properly. My groups gradually got worse. What can be done to correct the ejector?
"knock’d the trotters from under him”  
                                   Davy Crocket

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ejector problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:46:31 AM »
If it's an ejector, it won't make any difference on a rimless cartridge like the 25-06, but an extractor will.  Which is it? If it's an extractor barrel, you may be able to use a spot of JB weld under the extractor post to control headspace, I've not done it yet, but have thought about it. When I fit a barrel, I flat file the chamber face so the sized case is flush with the chamber face, not recessed. It may be best to send it to H&R for replacement if it's a factory fitted barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Headspace

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
Thanks for the post Tim.
 It is an ejector, the brass is completely ejected from the chamber. I didn't think it should make any difference how it got chambered either, if it ejects OK. But my groups changed dramatically when I hand fed it into the ejector first. I will play around with it some more before sending it out.

Thanks

Gene
                                   Davy Crocket

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:59:14 PM »
It could be a problem with the lifter button and spring, knock the rear roll pin out and make sure the spring, button and ejector claw are all clean and intact. Take a look at the ejector parts pic and ejector to extractor conversion info in the FAQs. ;)

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
You could be on to something with the ejector and your erratic accuracy issues....
 Way back, Target shooters using push feed, bolt guns would remove the "button" and spring form the bolt face as it would not allow for consistent bullet placement in the chamber. Not to mention they where also re-loaders and didn't like the brass flying out of the gun after every shot.  ::)

Consistency is key to accuracy. So anything we can do to make things more consistent will have a positive effect of accuracy.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Headspace

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
Thanks Tim and CW I'll take it apart and check the parts.
                                   Davy Crocket

Offline snmann

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
I just sent in my son's 7mm-08 bought new in 06 with the same ejector problem.  The cartridge would slide right past it and be stuck in the barrel.  I had to partially close the gun before the ejector could catch the shell.  Other times when I would break the rifle open, the shell couldn't be ejected out.  I had to open & close it 3-4 times before it would kick out.  I had one that wouldn't come out so a modified weenie roasting stick was used.

I know every manufacturer has problems sometimes, so I hope this is not the norm.

Scott

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
Scott, a rifle buillt in 2006 should have an extractor, what's the second letter of the serial number prefix? It sounds like you have a gen one extractor which they did fail to extract, hence the reason for gen two extractors that are on current production. It may also have had the wrong extractor/ejector claw in it or a missing/broken lifter spring if it's an ejector.  :-\

Tim

Offline snmann

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »

The serial # starts off:  NU2
I thought I saw on the box that the gun was made late in 2004 but not sure.
When I open the gun the shell flies out.  It would hit someone standing behind it

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »
U= 2004, the build year info is in the FAQs. If it's an extractor, that's a gen one which was problematic, but I think you probably have an ejector barrel, does it throw the spent case out over your shoulder :o, or just lift it a little and you have to remove it by hand?

Tim

Offline snmann

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
It will throw it over your shoulder

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
That would be an ejector barrel. Sounds like a broken/missing/dirty lifter button spring issue. :'(

Tim