Author Topic: What happens to the gun?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What happens to the gun?
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
Lets say someone breaks into your house one night with some type of weapon. He comes at you and you cap him a couple times with your shotgun or handgun. After he goes down you call the police and tell them you shot an intruder in self-defense. What happens to the gun you shot the person with? Do the police take it? If so do they return it to you?

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
Re: What happens to the gun?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
BTW I live in Kansas, if it makes a difference.

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »
At the end of the investigation, any legally owned firearm not determined to have been used in an unlawful manner is returned to the owner. That could be a year or more in some jurisdictions, depending on the political climate and case load.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
I had a gun stolen and recovered two hour later. Not only did I have to wait for the case to go to trail, I had to wait for the first appeal to fail. So I think it was 3 years before I got my gun back.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
Well first the officer has to determine that you are the lawful owner AND you are entitled to have it back.  Then after all that a detective will have to verify the officer did his job correctly and be sure you havent violated any Domestic Violence laws since you purchased it and since the incident when you defended yourself.  Then theyll call you to get your property that, was tossed into evidence, test fired with whatever handy ammo they had.  It would have been tagged with a metal wire through the trigger guard and tossed back into an evidence locker.  Oh did I forget never cleaned.  AND if you pass away while they have it your family may not be able to claim it.

Thats why they call it the CRIMINAL Justice System.  Justice is a process not a result!

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:18:48 AM »
Yep.  And in Kali-fornia as the Govanator says, you also have to wait the ten days before you get it back from the authorities.  Found out about this one when a Friend of mine left his pistol behind in a hotel room.  He just forgot it on the nightstand.  The cleaning crew called it into the local police dept. They gave him a hell of a time, asking questions about it, but it is not un-lawful to have a weapon in your hotel room.  A hotel room is your residence for the night.  The police dept. was inclined to do another background check and made him wait ten days before he could pick it up.  Now get this, my buddy is disabled and was directed to the basement of this station.  Three flights of stairs.  He requested if the property officer would be nice enough to come to him on the ground floor and was denied.  The poor guy had to jump on one leg from stair tread to stair tread to appear before the property window.  After he collected his property he told me he thought about suing the city for not having disabled access to the public buildings basement.
Tomzuki

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 01:30:36 PM »
Tomzuki :  If you see your friend again soon I would advise him to sue the P.D. and I would be willing to bet that he could do it for nothing as in Cal. their are always Lawyers looking to sue Government agencys, If had been me and that was the story told me, I would have filed a lawsuit that day, and all the LIBERALS out there that get a kick out of making other peoples life across the country misserable would have to reap what they have sown.   JIM

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
In most places, even the ones that will say "glad you shot him, don't worry about it", and never even consider charges against you, getting your firearm back in your possession is an iffy thing at best.  Good political connections may or may not help depending on whether or not your firearm is of a sort someone in the LE/political hierarchy wants for their collection.  Some might say it takes extremely good luck and maybe an act of God as well.  Don't ever get your hopes up.  It seems the general philosophy is that you should consider it as sort of a shooting/death tax for tagging your violator and be grateful you aren't in court of in jail.
 ;)
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 02:34:57 AM »
I have had three guns taken from me in two separate incidences and none was either found or not returned.
In the last incident the gun was traced too a pawn shop but the police said it had been redeemed before they got it from the shop. Imano! I do know they are out there somewhere and some other folks than the rightful owner (me) has them---who? Imano!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
You may not want it back. Some (not all) crime labs use a very caustic method to examine firearms for prints and what not.  I personally have taken guns in as evidence, and when they come back from the lab, the finish is ruined. I forget what they do. I would mention these are  guns that are not being returned to a lawful owner. Last one I had went in pristine, came back looking like it had been dumped in acid. Finish was chrome, too.

RR

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
EESH, guess my S&W is going back in the safe. Id rather have my mossberg taken away than my 357...