Author Topic: illuminated reticles- Mueller Sport Dot or other?  (Read 502 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
illuminated reticles- Mueller Sport Dot or other?
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »
Let me try a different thread here.  I posted before about a cheap, Clearpoint brand scope that had an illuminated reticle.  I was really kind of wanting input on night shooting more than input on the scope itself.  Does anyone have experienced with the Sport Dot?  I feel confident that Quick has one....

My concerns are:

Do illuminated reticles really work at night?  Wouldn't you still need a lightsource?

Do lens coatings matter at night?

Should I ask around one of the predator forums?  My FIL knows a guy who might take us coyote calling and I think that illuminated reticles are cool.  I tried a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot with different reticles and the parallax error made it useless to me.  If I had the cash I would go ACOG, but that isn't going to happen.  I am thinking the 3-9 Banner or Mueller for 30/30 or 357.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: illuminated reticles- Mueller Sport Dot or other?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:01:16 PM »
I have several Muellers with IRs, but I've never used one at night for hunting, but I will say they don't have the tube glow typical of cheap IRs like the Leapers that I have, the entire inside of the tube is illuminated which I would imagine isn't good for night hunting at all, very distracting and probably washes out any view of the target.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »
The Trophy red dot had a rheostat to dim or brighten the crosshair and it could be dimmed to avoid what you talk about.  I would think that it was handy for lowlight, dusk shooting, but I can't for the life of me, see how people shoot at night without a spotlight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
One that I've read of being excellent for night work is the Mueller 4-16x50 Sport Dot, the illuminated dot in conjunction with the german #4 reticle and 50mm objective makes a nice night combination. ;)

Tim

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:08:17 AM »
I have the Mueller (2) with the lighted retical the German style post and I love both of them.  I pitch darkness you wouldn't really be able to use either.  I also have the Tactical Model on my Savage .308 with the lighted Mil-Dot and with it's large objective lens you can see pretty well in darkened conditions but again in total darkness it won't work.  I think with some sort of external light source (bright moon, pole lights and so on they work ok) As far as the Muellers go though, they are a great scope for the money. 

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:41:51 AM »
That's a good point about external light sources.  I tried a Bushnell Legend outside under the mercury lights and it was okay. 

Offline CelticCross

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
Has anyone used or had experience with the "eraticator" varmint scope from Mueller?? I am considering it for my >204 and would love some input.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »
Got one on my 204 Handi, great scope!! The dot covers about 3/8" at 100yds, X-hairs are superfine. ;)

Tim

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

Offline CelticCross

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
Thanks Tim