Author Topic: 357max 16.5 or 22 inch  (Read 378 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
357max 16.5 or 22 inch
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »
I'm  8weeks from getting a 357 max. Been thinking about chopping it down to 16.5 inches. What ya guys think.  This is gonna be used for plinking for a couple years. then it may become my daughters first rifle. I was gonna chop my 45/70  but I may be hunting elk with it next year. So I figured do it to the 357 max,   What ya guys think.   

PS  8wks is to long to think               Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
Re: 357max 16.5 or 22 inch
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »
I would keep it like it is unless it has to be cut the rifles are short enough as they are. I like to get the extra vel. if you need to shorten it put on a youth stock. Good luck i love my max hope to get a deer with it as soon as the season opens.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »
There is no argument that the max will kill and elk... but, IMHO,  if you have a 45-70 it is the better choice.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:20:01 PM »
Yeah thats what I meant. The 45/70 going elk hunting with me
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
I have recently been thinking of cutting my Max down too - but only by 2" to 20". I just acquired a 45LC BC with a 20" barrel and I love the way it balances. When I put the 357 Max (with 22" barrel) on the frame with the BC stocks, it seems a bit clunky, and it weighs about 1 pound more than the 45. I'm not too concerned that 2" (if I cut it) will make enough performance  difference, and I doubt it will save 1 lb in weight, but bottom line, I haven't really decided what to do with it yet.

If I do cut it down, I plan on letting my son (a skinny 12 year old) use it for deer hunting. I don't want him to develop a recoil flinch like I did when I was a skinny 12 year-old, and shot a .303 Br Lee Enfield, and my dad's Husqvarna .308 Win lightweight!  :o Yikes... took me years to get over that flinch!

Right now he likes the 45 Colt BC with a Survivor stock (below) 'cause it is just the right length and weight for him.
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:27 PM »
OK, sounded like you wanted to use the maxi for Elk.

As for Bbl length. Remember the Maxi was developed as a handgun round. One that would have energy enough for tough to knock over Rams but with less recoil that the big 44.  SO the shorter barrel might make for a nice hunting rifle!! Its gonna have more muzzle blast being short!!

My maxi is my very favorite, it shoots & handles very well. Much to well to fiddle with!!!

Post some pix when you get it done!!

Tallyho,
 The 45colt Bbl is very intriguing!! I didn't think I wanted one.....but its growing on me!!  I have a couple Marlins in 45colt and like them allot....
 I had my hands on one in a shoppe the other day...but $350 was just too steep!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »

Tallyho,
 The 45colt Bbl is very intriguing!! I didn't think I wanted one.....but its growing on me!!  I have a couple Marlins in 45colt and like them allot....
 I had my hands on one in a shoppe the other day...but $350 was just too steep!!!

CW

Yeah, I didn't think I wanted one either but I found one at a gunshow last month at a price I couldn't resist  ::). I figured I could certainly sell it and get my money back if I didn't like it - but it has grown on me - and my kid loves it.

And I just spent another hundred bucks on components and dies for 45 LC to work up some good accurate hunting loads, so I guess I can say I'm gonna start taking it seriously.
DECEASED 6/6/2013