Author Topic: 1863 Remington and 1849 Colt.  (Read 2887 times)

Offline quincy1

• Trade Count: (0)
1863 Remington and 1849 Colt.
« on: March 25, 2006, 04:38:54 PM »
Howdy all,

Got another wild hair and want to get a “pocket model .31 caliber BP revolver”
Seems the choice is 1863 Remington and 1849 Colt.

If you have experience with either or both of these, please offer your thoughts.
And what brand do you speak of.

Thanks
Quincy1

Offline tryit

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:59:25 AM »
Quincy1 I have both the Remmie in brass and the colt in Uberti. I like the colt more than the Remmie. The Remmie tends to get sort of loose in the locking pawl area and loading lever area. The colt will need taller front sighs and minor tuning up. My little 31's are with me on the farm all the time. I have a Remmie in steel a while back and showed promise. I had to trade a fellow out of a Mowery arms .36 for it. Tryit.

Offline coltnavy36

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 06:12:12 PM »
I have the 49' pocket model from Uberti.
I've had it for a few years now, and it has been the best one I have, and I've got many navies and army's, and one dragoon.
The thing is, it is smaller, and easy to maintain.
Takes me no time at all to clean after shooting it, and it has been my "carry" gun for some time now.
Has taken many armadillos, and snakes.
The charcoal blue is wearing a little, but that gives one of these more "character", in the long run.
I LOVE it, and with a little practice, it CAN shoot very well despite rumors.
It just takes practice, and a bag of hornady buckshot.
I wish Uberti would come out with the 5", and 6" barrel lengths that Colt had. They would prove more accurate then the 4" I think.
But, I love mine, and would not sell, or trade it for anything, at all.
It's more of a personal trinket, which if you are like me, could possibly become an heirloom.
Cheers.
--coltnavy36--
"They REALLY lived."
     ---Secondhand Lions---

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: 1863 Remington and 1849 Colt.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:53:21 AM »
I have the same revolver as Coltnavy36 and pretty much have to echo his response.  I carried mine on my trap line for years.  I actually liked it better than a 22 LR for a trap line revolver.  I have to agree with Coltnavy again when he says his is the most accurate of all his BP revolvers.  Mine certainly outshoots all my other C&B revolvers and for trap line ranges I didn't have to install a taller front sight.  I've had all the Colts available on the reproduction market except for the 1st and 2nd Model Dragoons, (I don't know if either of those are still available),  and shot them all, a lot.  The ones I kept are the '49, '51 and '60 Army, all steel framed.  Those three will do anything I need or want to do.  I never owned a Remington but always liked them.

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
I own the remington and love it. I can shoot 5 cylinders without cleaning with full 40gr charges. POI was fine as is, slightly low two handed and dead on one handed. After shooting colts I never thought I could keep a cylinder on a plate at 25yards one handed but I can. Cleaning is also a breeze and doesnt require beating on anything which I like. The top strap posed no problem either regarding spent caps and gives a nice positive assurance when shooting. They're almost dont seem like BP guns since they do away with a lot of BP shooting chores like aiming 4 feet low, cleaning after every cylinder, and beating on the wedge with whatever you find in the truck. I'd definatly steal one if headed out west back in the day, and would feel no need for one of those new untested 1873 colts!

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:50:20 AM »
How are you getting 40 grs. in a pocket pistol?  If you mean the full size Remington revolver, ok...got it.  In my 1849 12-14 grs. is a cylinder full!

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:00:42 AM »
Oops, yes I meant the full size. Sorry

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »
HELLO for the first time here to you guys!!OK...I too am interested in these two guns and from what I have read the Uberti in the Colt is very well made and has a good trigger. What about the Remington? It is stated in the reply from????? that the lock up of the cylinder gets loose as well as the loading lever, is this on a brass-framed gun or a certain brand or is this from a huge amount of firing and or the lead being too hard? I see that Cabelas' has a steel framed Remy in .31....OK men tell me which is the best along with more stories " 73 yard crow kills etc..." I absolutely love to here them. My main purpose for one of these two, or both!!!, would be as a constant companion while fishing or 'sang hunting..Thank you much.MISSEDSHOT...

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
Hey guys!! Tell me who makes Dixie Gun Works '49 Pocket revolver please, also is this a quality gun in comparison to the Pocket Remy? I am leaning towards the Colt after hearing of loading lever problems with the Remington. Any comments or objections are very much welcomed..And thanks..MISSEDSHOT...

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 04:44:58 PM »
I ordered the 63 brass-framed Remington from Bass Pro. It should arrive in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait to shoot it . I've never held one but several authors say the Ruger Bearcat is made after the Remingtons, if that be true I'll really like it....MISSEDSHOT......

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:49:14 AM »
Hey guys!! Tell me who makes Dixie Gun Works '49 Pocket revolver please, also is this a quality gun in comparison to the Pocket Remy? I am leaning towards the Colt after hearing of loading lever problems with the Remington. Any comments or objections are very much welcomed..And thanks..MISSEDSHOT...

DGW sells two different 1849 Pockets,
one made by Palmetto:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3478
and one made by Uberti:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1024

They call the Palmetto gun a "Hartford" model and it has a 5 1/2 inch barrel, as opposed to the 4 inch barrel on the Uberti. Both are .31 caliber.

The difference in price is meaningful.

Finally, S&S has the lowest price on the Uberti that I have found so far:
http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/07%20Cat/SS0752-67.pdf
CAUTION: this link is to a .pdf file. You will need Adobe Acrobat installed to read it. Also, if you do not have anti-virus protection I suggest you go to the S&S home page http://www.ssfirearms.com/ first, then get their catalog directly. I have had no problems with this site, otherwise I would not have posted it, but it always pays to be prudent. Also, I've never bought anything from S&S so I can't vouch for the quality of their products. The Uberti name is generally enough, however.

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »
What is the proper nipple wrench for the '63 Remington?Will the '58 Rem. .36 or .44 wrench work?MISSEDSHOT.........

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »
Been looking at that Colt '49 Pocket myself. Looks nice, lot of good comments. Looking prices now is all.

Offline Flint

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »
The Remington is actually smaller than the Colt, which is no big deal. (pardon the pun).  The Pietta Remingtons I've handled, both Brass and Steel seem to be loose and sloppy both in the action and the loading lever, compared to the Uberti Colts.

Whether Pietta has improved the fit and function of the Remington Pocket Pistol more recently, I don't know, but I wasn't impressed enough to buy one, even though I wanted one.

I have both a an 1849 Pocket and a Wells Fargo in the Uberti Colt, and I like them both, though the frames on mine are too soft in mine to handle the R&D 32 conversion using Winchester factory ammo.  The conversion backplate embossed the breech recoil ring enough to open up the headspace.  Whether the Kirst would damage the Uberti frame, I don't know.  Mine still seem to be OK with the percussion cylinder, as the embossing is from the 6 shot backplate and the percussion cylinder is a 5 shot.  Time will tell.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
Flint, I recieved the remington and it was so small I could not work the hammer with the same hand I held the pistol with making it a two-handed operation. I returned the pistol, which was tight and well-built.MISSEDSHOT....

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
Some body mentioned that Dixie was selling Palmetto pistols.  I was under the impression that Palmetto had closed down and sold it's tooling to Pedersoli.    I have several Palmetto made products from 20 yrs ago and for ten yrs could find no reference to a web site for Palmetto.   I actually found a web site recently, but was disapointed with the offerring.  It was as if someone resurrected the name.

The Palmetto guns I have that are 20 yrs old are quite good overall, with the exception of a brass frame long barrel Remington repro kit.  Very rough working action in that one.   

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 06:09:41 AM »
Are the grip and frame the same size in the Navy '51 and the '49 pocket?

Offline Flint

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »
No, the 49 Pocket is a smaller frame and gripframe, there are NO interchangable parts between them.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life