Author Topic: Broken stop Pin.  (Read 644 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Broken stop Pin.
« on: June 04, 2003, 09:36:03 PM »
Hello everyone, :D

Got my updated press, series S-Press, back from Dave quite a while ago. Been making my LadyHawks and G-2 bullets in .451 caliber for a friend and me. Probably ran off about 500 bullets with no problems, the press worked great and the stop pin in the front of the press was not even thinking about bending. Then I wanted to work with a copper tubing jacket, after cutting five of them I tried to end round one of them but before I could start to make contact with the bottom of the die as I was raising the ram I encountered a little resistance and POP, the ram went all the way up. I investigated the problem and found that my stop pin had shattered into more than three pieces and found a couple of very short pieces of lead wire inside at the bottom of my ram. I don’t think that it was the pieces of lead wire that caused my pin to shatter but than again I have not found what did happen. I’m waiting for a few stop pins to arrive from Dave before I can have fun again.  :oops: I broke my toy again.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Broken stop Pin.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 04:42:45 AM »
Never heard of a stop pin shattering... mine (in the old CSP-II) just bend slighly. Pins may fail differently now that they run all the way thru the ram and press body. I wonder, too, if Mr Corbin switched to a more hardened pin stock? There appears to be enough room for those little lead wires (I bet everyone has some in the blind hole of their ram) to get by the pin and not cause pin failer for that reason alone. They do have to be dumped out occasionally. As you know, the pin only takes pressure when the ram goes down. Are those lady hawks and/or those G-2s you make hard ejecting? Could they have overly stressed the pin without your observence (especially when you were probably looking for signs of a BENT pin)? As a last thought, I have started to get hardened steel (spring/piano wire) pin stock from suppliers of such: You can get 3 yards of stop pin material for $5!! That makes lots of stop pins.... 8)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Broken stop Pin.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 12:12:09 PM »
Here is a pic of the stop pin. It looks like the inside has been crystallized but then again I’m no metallurgist. As you can see the circle shows a chunk missing, all I found was about ten very tinny pieces of steel fragments.

I had the same thought on the hardened steel bar stock. Thanks Talon.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20