Author Topic: Reloading records program  (Read 1693 times)

Offline bosterr

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading records program
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Does anyone know of a simple computer program for keeping records of load data for different cartridges? I don't need any internal or external ballistic data, trajectory or anything else. Just an easy way of keeping track of my experiments so I can look back and see what worked and what didn't and velocities. For me, this would be far easier than to keep a written record.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
OpenOffice Calc. It's a free open source version of Microsoft Excel. It comes with OpenOffice. Download at OpenOffice.org 
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: Reloading records program
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »
Just make a spreadsheet in Excel or Works and save the money you saved to buy components.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
Pen and paper won't crash or get a virus, or have the harddrive just plain fail or cook the mother board like the 3 i've had in the past did.

Computers are great but I'll be darned if I'll loose years of load data to some problem, or not be able to access data because of a power failure or dead battery..
found elsewhere

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
All the important data I have is backed up to external hard drives and network storage.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
Paper has it's problems too.  Hail breaks a window while you're gone allowing rain to enter your log book and destroy it and some older load manuals.  >:(    Second copy stored in an ammo can saves the day and replacement load manuals are easy to find.   ;)   Kind of like using a disc or flashdrive for backup.   ::)   

Offline 223Pitbull

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »
I made my own template in excel for 4 x 6 index cards. I can add all my load data with notes on one side and laminate a portion of the target on the back. I store mine in a 4 x 6 index box and on my computer.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
you can download reloader's reference from sourceforge.  Works well with xp, seems to have problems with win7, no support.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
You can put the data you need on 3X5 cards in about 3 minutes, a lot sooner than it takes a computer to turn on. I reload in the garage, computer is in the house. My loading bench is full, no room for no computer, there is room for a box of index cards. With some dividers, I can sort my data any way I want.

Others are undoubtedly a lot more computer savy than me, but it takes me only a few minutes to do anything I want with probably 40 years of accumulated data. It would take me a lot longer to do the same things with a computer.

Offline MZ5

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »
I typed the following into Yahoo:
"Spreadsheet template reloading records"
and got a page of possible leads.  I'm going to check them out, as even though I prefer paper records for this, the paper records have proven only semi-durable.
Give a look and see what you think, too.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »
If you think that paper records are semi permanent, wait until your computer crashes or is stolen.  Backup!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
I've been using a wire bound notebook for the last 40 years or so. When ya fill one up just start on another. I've done that several times. I can't see me ever computerizing my loading logs or notes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MZ5

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »
If you think that paper records are semi permanent, wait until your computer crashes or is stolen.  Backup!

Way ahead of you.  Offsite, near-real-time, all the time.   ;)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
Good question.  I have 3 or 4,  thick 3 ring binders by MTM but I have been tempted to go computer. Some times I have a hard time finding info I know I recorded.  I've been too lazy to create an Excell or Access data base.  It would be nice for fast searching, - especially when I'm trying to dig up old results for questions here.  Paper has problems too - I mostly record in pencil and it can smudge or fade, pages tear or fall out. Maybe I should get on an access db instead of hanging so much on GB to the annoyance of my dear wife.  Shucks, I was hoping someone would really recommend a good reloading DB software. 
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
I started out like my poop using 3x5 index cards like a little recioe box... It worked OK but I wanted more space.

I made up a data sheet with room for notes and data and sequential numbers for finding it as well as marking baxes. I also punch it with a 3 hole punch and store them in a binder hept with my loading manuels.

Here is one from my Maxi:

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 02:48:56 AM »
I keep a notebook with all my specific loads but I also use a Excel based program that holds lots of data and can be printed out as well.  It will work with MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc.  and you can modify it if your inclined to do so.   I saved these programs a couple years ago on my download site in case anyone wanted it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?82725i3f17cd6q2

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1xwlb2kugdekto7/Reloading.xls
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
A few years back they invented this thing called a ... printer.  It puts ink on paper and creates a written record of your electronic file.  The printed record will last a long time, especially if you put it in a ... binder. 
Keeping records on a spread sheet is very easy and convenient, especially when you just change a few things.  Copy and paste works great. 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Whenever I create a load, I record what I did on a 3X5. I shoot targets with most of my loads. When I do that, I shoot an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of 3 ring binder paper. I put all the same data right on the target and then file it in a binder. Extreme spread, range, etc. is recorded on the 3X5.

I organize the cards and targets by caliber. If I am getting lots of data in one particular caliber, I then divide the cards and targets by bullet weight. I could further subdivide by powder type if I really had a lot of data. When I get rid of a gun and am not reloading that caliber again, the cards go in a different "dead file" box.

I guess you could take pictures of your targets and keep those on your computer, but I have the real thing. Sometimes, when I go back through old targets a see something that I hadn't taken note of before like stringing .

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
There are lots of ways to skin a cat. Here's one:

I run a Mac. Made a simple spreadsheet in Numbers (you could do the same with any spreadsheet program in Windows). The spreadsheet is made so that the velocity of each shot can be recorded. I make a paper copy to take to the range on which to record the data for each shot fired over the chronograph. That "worksheet" is brought home and the collected field data are punched into the same spreadsheet on the computer. The computer returns all the load info (bullet, charge, primer, temp, etc.) and the average velocity of the rounds fired along with max, min, mean, and standard deviation. This can be printed an committed to a paper record or it can be simply retained in the computer. Depends on your trust in Apple or Microsoft.

I'll be glad to send a blank of my spreadsheet free of charge to anyone out there who runs a Mac and who has iWork. My email is:

<calvon@bendbroadband.com>