Author Topic: 7tcu  (Read 985 times)

Offline phillips

• Trade Count: (0)
7tcu
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »
Hello
I loaded some 7tcu with new brass that I sized from new 223 cases.
They were never fired in a gun. I loaded them with 24gr. of hodgesons  140 gr. remmington.
I had heard someware that was the one way to fire form then.Im wondering now if they would
create too much pressure and be unsafe to shoot. They seem to be pretty powerful  should I just shoot them or pull the  bullets ?
Thanks
KEN                                           

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 7tcu
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 03:46:25 AM »
24 gr. of Hodgdon WHAT?  Hodgdon offers many powders that are suitable for the tcu.  Which did you use?  You are aware this brass should be fire formed before loading to heavier loads, right?  The manual where you attained your load info will explain farther.  If you don't have any appropriate load manuals STOP where you are until you get some and read a while.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:16:45 AM »
I agree with Old Syko. Be careful about what you load. Use a medium pressure powder charge and seat the bullets into the lands. This will force the case against the breech face and the form the shoulder into the chamber. If the case is loose in the chamber, then It will stretch in the case above the web area to fill the chamber. The firing pin striking the primer will push the case ahead then when it goes off it will stick to the chamber walls and do all of the stretching at the web. There are plenty of advice on the web on how to fire form cases and there are different ways of doing it. Like Old Syco said do some research, you will not be sorry.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline phillips

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Hi this is ken.
I forgot to tell you that the powder was hodson 335 powder 24 gr. with a 140 gr.remington bullet.
thanks  Ken.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »
Without looking the load up in a manual I can't say for sure if it's OK or not BUT what you want is a starting load not an upper end load for fire forming your cases. If your load is more than a mid level load in the book you took it from I'd personally not want to use it. Still with the TCUs there is darn little fire forming to do as it's really only altering the shoulder a wee bit so unless it's a MAX load it's unlikely to be unsafe it's just not the best choice for fire forming.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »
Ken

From what i have been able to find your 2 full grains below max with the load . pressure should not be a problem , as GB said , not the best load to fire-form with but it will get the job done .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped