Author Topic: UBERTI 1873 CATTLEMAN CAP & BALL  (Read 1455 times)

Offline zouave

• Trade Count: (0)
UBERTI 1873 CATTLEMAN CAP & BALL
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this pistol? I have a chance to pick one up at a good price. It also comes with the loading tool. It looks like a well built pistol. Having sold all my black powder pistols years ago, I'm in the mood to get back into it as I enjoy all that comes with shooting black powder. I also understand that they have discontinued this model but that doesn't bother me. So any information on this pistol would be greatly appreciated.
zouave.

Offline Flint

Re: UBERTI 1873 CATTLEMAN CAP & BALL
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »
No personal experience, but they are supposed to be well made, and were made for the European market in countries that have outlawed cartridge handguns, like England.   They are complete with ejector rod and spring, even though they will never use it....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline DakotaDan

Re: UBERTI 1873 CATTLEMAN CAP & BALL
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
Greetings  Zouave,

The Uberti 1873 SAA cap and ball is just modified slightly in that the cylinder isn't easily interchangeable with the Uberti .45LC cartridge cylinder and of course the firing pin has a different shape to strike the nipple/cap. Parts are available and generally interchange. As far as firing, lots of fire and smoke and, after two cylinders, lots of fouling. Not a good choice for those with limited time; loading and then cleaning after use takes time. Compared to Colt cap and ball pistols, the 1873 easier to use if pulling the wedge is bothersome, but for loading the cylinders you really need that loading gizmo.  (BTW, it is always an attention getter at the range.)

-d