Author Topic: 30-20 and more.  (Read 566 times)

Offline KYwonderer

• Trade Count: (0)
30-20 and more.
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
I have loaded cast bullets for Bullseye matches for several years and practice both expanding the case mouth and crimping. However, last week I ventured into some new territory -- let me explain.

While working up Field and Hunter pistol loads in my 10" TC 30-20 I came accross several thousand 115 grain lead round nose bullets. I had been shooting 30 carbine FMJ and decided to try the lead over a similar load of HTG. Not  having a 30 expanding die I found I was able to seat the bullet as I would a jacketed. And, since that worked I tryed fireing them without crimping.

Results of testing were very similar. Both bullets, lead and FMJ, grouped MOA at 100 yards with a 6X scope and sandbags. Velocities and Standard Deviation were very similar. After lowering the starting point for 25 yards my "come ups" scope settings for longer yardages was the same for lead as they are for FMJ.

Yesterday, At the IHMSA match in Anderson Cty. KY I played with sight settings and then fired a practice match. The leads performance was outstanding.

My question is, "Am I doing it wrong by not Expanding and Crimping?" Or, since I am getting such steller performance without expanding and crimping should I worry about it?

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 30-20 and more.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:12:37 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it at all, and next time you go to a match look for Greg and tell him I said hi, they normally call him groundhog. I used to shoot a 14" barreled 32-20 in unlimited class and it always made him twitch  ;D ;D

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:23 AM »
as long as your not shaving lead off the bullets or crushing cases when seating what your doing will work fine.
blue lives matter

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »
If'n it ain't fuddled, don't fix it!