Author Topic: thinking about a 45 colt barrel  (Read 383 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
thinking about a 45 colt barrel
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
think i may send off for a 45 colt barrel. have seen a few posts about extractor problems. wondering if this is going to be common with this chambering?  would NEF not check for this before shipping?

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: thinking about a 45 colt barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
The problem doesn't happen on unfired brass, so the only time they'd notice it is after test firing it, and supposedly they test fire all guns, so you'd think they would notice it then. Fortunately it's easy to fix with a dremel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »
thanks Tim, think i will send off the reciever monday, and order a straight grip laminate stock at the same time, as i need (want) one for my versa pack.

what do you think of about a beartooth 255gr wfp cast at about 1000-1200fps. my goal would be a 50 - 75 yard deer gun, but mostly a plinking round for my backyard range (35 yards). have you tried trailboss powder?

btw, i re-injured my shoulder a couple of nights ago when i rolled over on my left side during my sleep. i visit with my ortho-sergon and physical therapist monday. one of the pa's will help me get a disabled sportsman permit so i can use a crossbow during archery season if i want. kinda sucks, but i guess the longbow is out.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:32:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about the reinjury, I was hoping you would be on the mend by now, but I know how that goes. :'(

I've only shot Ruger/TC loads in mine, so I can't help with the light loads. But that load should work fine for ya, Hodgdon has a Trail Boss pistol load for a 250gr cast bullet that should work fine. I'm getting 500fps more velocity out of Lil'gun in the 20" barrel than Hodgdon does with it in a pistol, so you should be able to achieve your goal easily and without hurting yourself!! ;)

Tim

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:04:01 AM »
i broke my collar bone, which is no big deal, but damaged my rotater cup(??) also. i have full use of my arm from my elbow down, but almost no movement of my shoulder.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO