Author Topic: 1858 vs 1860: Would you rather aim high or low???  (Read 793 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1858 vs 1860: Would you rather aim high or low???
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:28:20 PM »
Hello, I'm a part time old member from years ago and I guess my account was deleted. I've been lurking around reading the threads here and I still have some questions when comparing the Pietta 1858 and the 1860.

From what I gather, the 1858 could shoot a few inches low (I am only looking at the traditional fixed sights). The 1860 should shoot 6-10 inches high.
I'm looking to do most shooting at 25 yards but would like to bring it along deer hunting for a close finishing shot (legal in MO for the muzzleloading season).

So I guess the question is: Would you rather aim high or low ???
I would rather aim low but as much as a foot  :o

On a side note, what can be done cheaply to raise the point of impact on the 1860?
I understand filing the hammer is one way - but I'm reading a lot of mixed opinions on doing it correctly. Is there anything that can be done with the front site in terms of raising it or replacing it with a taller one?

Thanks

Offline m-g Willy

Re: 1858 vs 1860: Would you rather aim high or low???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »
You lower the bullet strike on the 1860 by either installing a higher front sight or by fileing the back sight notch on the hammer down( SLOWLY) TILL IT HITS WHERE YOU WANT.
Some of the Uberti 1858's have dove tail front sights that can be replaced with a higher one pretty easy.

Willy

Offline curtism1234

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:49:08 AM »
Thanks.

How is the 1860 sight attached on the Piettas?

Is this a DIY job? If you have to soder it on, doesn't the blue come off?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
have ya played with your powder weight any ? or ball weight ( different alloys weigh different ) a heavier ball will shoot higher with the same charge of powder ! something easy to try !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
I did have a higher blade put on my Pietta 1860 Army.  That little barleycorn sight fits in a milled slot.  I watched my 'smith do it.  Vice grips on the sight, and bit of gentle propane torch work and it came out.  Then thin a piece of sheet brass to fit the slot, and in it goes with some silver solder.  I then filed it in.  It was done carefully, and the blue didn't come off.

It seems that I have new sights on all my cap'nballers and conversion revolvers.

PS;  Get your service load established BEFORE changing sights in any way.