Author Topic: moly coated bullets/rust  (Read 346 times)

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
moly coated bullets/rust
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
got some bullets from a friend to try. then read that moisture and the sulfide in the coating react to start rust. i can rub the coating off with scotchbrite. will this prevent contamination?
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: moly coated bullets/rust
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:05:10 AM »
Moly is hygroscopic and can draw moisture from the air. It's not a big deal to prevent, the simple fix is to simply oil the bore when you put in away. Run an oiled patch down the bore after cleaning is all that's needed. I shoot molycoated bullets in 4 varmint rifles and have not had any problems. One of the foaming bore cleaners is supposed to remove moly, but I don't know which one. An undersized bore brush with a couple of patches soaked with JB paste will scrub out most of it, use a bore guide and scrub back & froth untill the patches slide easily, then replace the patches and do it again. Repete till tired and then don't worry about it, but still use an oiled patch last.
Dave375HH

Offline Catfish

Re: moly coated bullets/rust
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
I will not shoot Molly again. I got Molly build up in a .17 Rem. to the point it would not hold a 3 in group at 100 yrds., and this for a gun that started shooting abt 1/2 moa. No amount of scrubbing with any solvent or JB`s would get it out. The only way I could get it out was to fire lap the barrel. I have no trouble cleaning copper from my barrels so why use Molly??????