Author Topic: Need to find a good 44 Mag. load for a 7 1/2" super redhawk  (Read 1061 times)

Offline goodwrench6710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I just purchased my first handgun on Thursday. It's a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag. Since I reload for my rifles, I'm gonna load for my handgun too. I've been using all RCBS dies for my reloading, but not shure what to get for the 44 Mag. Also need some good starting loads for whitetail deer & some target loads (was thinking of 240 gr. semi wad cutters lead for target). Does anyone have any good suggestions from experience?

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Need to find a good 44 Mag. load for a 7 1/2" super redhawk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
A fairly common whitetail load is 24 grs. of WW 296 or H 110, 240 gr. Hornady XTP, and a Magnum primer. I use CCI. This load is great in my 7 1/2 SBHH. I'd start at about 22 grs. of Powder and work from there.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
22 grains is actually BELOW the book listed MINIMUM for that powder and ALL references say NEVER EVER down load ball powders below recommended book loads. Definitely don't go lower.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
Or you can go the one load way since a whitetail does not require much to kill it I load 9 grs of W231 under a 240 cast SWC that goes 1050 fps in a 5' S&W M29 and is extremely accurate, very pleasant to shoot and it has killed turkey, deer and hogs quite well for me. It is one of my favorite range loads and allows one to become very proficient with their handgun due to it's relatively mild nature. A big bore bullet at 900-1000 fps will drop any whitetail at handgun hunting range and a long ways beyond as well. Just a thought.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
I shoot bowling pins at my local gun club every other week with my Smith 629 44 mag 5" barrel open sight. My favorite load for that shoot is the Hornady 240 grain lead hollow point over 7.2 grains of Vihtavouri N-340. This is an easy "plinking" load. Very accurate and with enough force to take the pin cleanly off the table at 25 yards. ( even those really bad pins that seem to be a plastic shell full of sawdust)

For deer (and an occasional groundhog for practice) when I use a 44 mag it is my Smith 629 6.5" barrel with a Simmons scope. My favorite load for that gun is 24.0 grains of Vitavouri N-110 with a Hornady 200 grain XTP hollow point bullet. This load will put all 6 rounds in a 5" group at 100 yards shooting from a rest. It will also let you know that you have wrist joints. ;D It's a enjoyable round to shoot.

Now, I would take a 100 yard shot at a deer only if I had a solid rest to shoot from. If I were just shooting from my Stoney Point shooting stick, 60 yards would be my maximum with the Smith. But, give me a solid fence post or a nice oak limb..... ;D....different ball game!

MHO

Oh, I can't speak for WW296 as I have never used that powder, but for H-110, Bill is absolutely correct. NEVER use H-110 below (or above) the recommended charges. H-110 is VERY fussy if you drop below the low end. You can end up with a squib load...stick a bullet in your barrel...and shoot the next round with a barrel obstruction and that's the end of your gun AT MINIMUM!

Dave

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:17:29 AM »
If you have not bought dies yet, may I suggest a carbide resizing die. The carbide sets do not cost a whole lot more than a regular die set. They save you from lubing the cases. Buy what ever set you like RCBS, Redding, Lee, what ever trips your trigger, but buy carbide, you will not regret it. If you already have your dies, then you can buy just the carbide sizer. I suggest this for any straight walled cartridge you load for, if available. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:55:11 AM »
box head hit it on the head. 1000 fps with a 240 cast will kill any deer or black bear or hog and is pleasant to shoot. Only thing id change in his post is i really dont like 231 in that application. It will do the job but ive had better luck with unique, power pistol, or herco to do it.  as to dies lee carbides are hard to beat for the price. For bullets my first advice is to buy a lyman expert kit for about a 120 bucks and all you will need is a sizer die for the press and a mold and you can make your own out of free wheel wieghts. If you want to buy them dont go cheap with bullets for the big guns. Check with mt. baldy or cast perfomance or one of the other reputable casters out there and buy good bullets. Cheap cast bullets will cause you more headaches then there worth.
Or you can go the one load way since a whitetail does not require much to kill it I load 9 grs of W231 under a 240 cast SWC that goes 1050 fps in a 5' S&W M29 and is extremely accurate, very pleasant to shoot and it has killed turkey, deer and hogs quite well for me. It is one of my favorite range loads and allows one to become very proficient with their handgun due to it's relatively mild nature. A big bore bullet at 900-1000 fps will drop any whitetail at handgun hunting range and a long ways beyond as well. Just a thought.
blue lives matter

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
I will get carbide dies without a doubt. The Lee dies look like a bargain on the 4 die set. As far as casting my own bullets, not right now. I might later on (as an auto tech. I have a big supply of wheel weights). I have a RCBS rockchucker supreme kit. I may get a turret press later if I feel the need. I was told buy the shop where I purchased my handgun that ammo is taking an other price hike at the beginning of August.

Offline sidekick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:36:49 AM »
Graybeard speaks the truth; do not load below minimum. However Hornady published loadings list minimum for their 240 gr. HP/XTP to be 21.1 gr. of WW-296 or 21.8 gr. H-110 (interesting since they are identical powders). Hodgden however does list 23.0 gr. as minimum in either WW 296 or H 110, for a 240 gr JHP, as Graybeard states. Bottom line, always use published data from a reputable source (i.e.-not me) and when loading, start low, work up carefully.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »
Sidekick,

Since you mentioned what was in the Hornady book, I took a look in my Hornady 6th Edition at the 240 HP-XTP load data, and it states that the low for both H-110 AND W-296 is 20.7, and the high for H-110 is 24.8 and the high for W-296 is 24.5.

Interesting.

Dave

Offline sidekick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Davemuzz,

Your reference is more current than mine. It does seem odd that the 'published minimum' on WW-296 with 240 gr. JHP,'s differs from 20.7 to 23.0, or maybe more, who knows. Maximum however seems to be 24.0 or slightly higher. My habit with Rugers has typically been to start in the middle and creep up til I hit an accurate load, which is usually below the published maximum of my particular reference.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
Sidekick,

I also (just for funzies) took a look at my Nosler reloading book, 5th edition, and the H-110 and W-296 loads are identical. The low is 22.8 and the high is 23.8. with the Nosler 240 grain. Nosler notes that the most accurate load is the lowest.

Help me out with something on the Hodgdon web site. They show the "bullet" for the H-110 and W-296  as "240 GR. NOS JHP". I am assuming they mean the Nosler 240 grain Jacketed Hollow Point bullet? And if so, they show the min at 23.0 and the max at 24.0 for H-110.

Sup wit Dat?

Dave

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:23:18 PM »
Help me out with something on the Hodgdon web site. They show the "bullet" for the H-110 and W-296  as "240 GR. NOS JHP". I am assuming they mean the Nosler 240 grain Jacketed Hollow Point bullet? And if so, they show the min at 23.0 and the max at 24.0 for H-110.

Those are the numbers I am most familiar with but different manuals do list different loads depending on the particular bullet they used. It varies slightly. I've never gone below 22.5 and I never go above 24.0 with W296/H110 which is the same powder.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 09:02:13 AM »
you got some good info to run with, un ique is definitely a good cast load in your gun. do not overlook blue dot or
2400 both will also do the job. blue dot more for cast and 2400 either or cast or jacketed.
i've maxed at 24 grs of h110 a winchester large pistol primer and a 240 xtp,but my super redhawk likes it.

Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 02:30:31 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was really not too sure what to start with for this handgun, like I said it's my first one. As far as recoil, it don't bother me on the 44 mag. I have shot both a 7 1/2" & 9 1/2" super redhawks. I seemed to like the shorter model better, feel it will be alittle better for me & easier to draw from a holster when hunting. One shop owner told me if I like to reload, RUGER is the best way to go. He told me they are one of the best built & love handloads.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 06:41:20 AM »
Goodwrench,

Since you bot the Ruger, do yourself a favor and spend another $80 and get a good trigger job done on it. If you like the gun now, you will never sell it once you have a good trigger job done on a Ruger. Really,...ask anyone who has had one done.

MHO

Dave

Offline sidekick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
I second the Davemuzz motion on the trigger job.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »
I use H110 in my ruger super blackhawk and it's been good.  I don't off the top of my head exactly how much (it's written down back at the house), but I always stay within what I've read in a book.  I just don't see enough benefit to outway the risk of having something blow up in my hands so I keep it within the books limits.  I know I'm a sissy.  I haven't ever fired a cast bullet out of my gun yet.  I have some on order and I'm looking forward to it. 

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »
teddyB,

I wouldn't suggest that you buy a 1 or even a 2lb container, but if you have any shootin buddies that use Vihtavouri N-340, maybe you could "borrow" some from them and load up some cast bullets with that powder. I shoot 50 rounds at my clubs pin shoot and I don't get any leading in my Smith 629. That's using the Hornady 240 grain lead hollow point over 7.2 grains of Vihtavouri N-340. This is an easy "plinking" load. The Hornady bullets are very soft lead without gas checks. When I first started to shoot them, I thought because of the softness of the lead, I would be scrubbin lead until the cows came home....but not so.

Again, if you get a chance try it...you may find your 44 likes it a bunch.

Dave

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 09:18:47 AM »
I've got two 20 round boxes of 320gr with gas check cast performance bullets on the way.  I'll have to see how these shoot and then possibly start reloading them. 

I also saw a bundle of 500 lead bullets without gas checks on midway for $32.  I didn't buy those and I know they'll be different then ones with the gas checks so I'll just have to way and see.

I don't know the difference between cast and hard cast.  I understand hard cast is made so it won't deform and basically makes a near perfect hole through just about anything, but is regular cast bullets a bullet that just turns to mush? 

I still have a lot of learning yet on reloading and all the options available.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »

I don't know the difference between cast and hard cast.  I understand hard cast is made so it won't deform and basically makes a near perfect hole through just about anything, but is regular cast bullets a bullet that just turns to mush? 

I still have a lot of learning yet on reloading and all the options available.

teddy12b

The Hard cast will tend to take more speed while the normal cast will be more forgiving as to bore size , what i mean is that with them being softer they will form to the lands & grooves better at lower speeds and pressures .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 02:40:37 AM »
Goodwrench6710
The Nosler data will be worth looking at especially with the 296/110 when Nosler bullets are used.

http://www.nosler.com/data44remmag250gr.html

I was quite startled when I saw the max charges listed but Graybeard came up with the answer...
GRAYBEARD WROTE:
The other bullets like the 265 Hornady are of conventional cup and core design but not so with the Nosler PT. It has the solid metal partition in there and that makes it a harder bullet and less easily pushed thru the rifling. That makes pressures rise faster so less powder is used. This also applies to some extent with the PT and BT rifle bullets but not enough to require different powder charges. BUT load the same weight of both and you'll get higher velocity from the PT because the pressures are a bit higher.