Author Topic: what scope and rings??  (Read 290 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
what scope and rings??
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »
Well I'm moving to Indiana next year and found out that I could hunt deer with a rifle chambered for a pistol cartridge so I'm ordering a 44 Mag barrel for my Handi.  I'm looking for a good cheap scope in the 1-4X32 or 2-7X32 range to mount on it.  Do any of you have any suggestions for a good cheap scope and some rings?  I have a Monte Carlo stock so I think medium rings would work, but I may need to get high rings for hammer clearance.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
Re: what scope and rings??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
I have a simmons prohunter 2-7 that I bought on ebay for around 50 bucks.  I think it is a good scope for the money. 

have you thought about the a shotgun fixed power scope.  The fixed power will add to clarity for the dollar on an inexpensive scope.

Offline Bob A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: what scope and rings??
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
I've been using the Bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5x32 on my 30/30 for a few years and I love it. They call it the "dusk to dawn" series of scopes and they are very good in the low light of early morn and sun down and it holds a zero very well. Costs less than $80 at several on line dealers. I got mine at MidSouth but I know they are widely available.  Its mounted in Weaver quad lock medium rings.
I haven't seen another setup that's better for the money. A 44 mag deer rifle isn't going to shoot 300 yards but it does need a scope that visually fits the rifle, can take some recoil and give you quick sighting in low light. The Banner can do that at a modest price.

Bob A