Author Topic: dpms lar 308t  (Read 684 times)

Offline levi joseph

• Trade Count: (0)
dpms lar 308t
« on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:46 AM »
Just purchased one to deer hunt with and was looking at spare magazines. 65 bucks for a 19 rounder!! holy cow!!! I wasn't expecting  that.  I got 2 with the rifle  but would like a few more but at that price I will have to wait a while for my mad money to get back up to it's safety level, does any one know of any place where they are lower in price or if they make an aftermarket one for these rifles

Thanks Levi

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: dpms lar 308t
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »
Try AR15.com.  You could post the question there and you would probably get a ton of responses. 

Not related, but how do you like it so far?  Accuracy/weight/overall fit and finish?  I have been thinking about getting one myself, but they seem to be a little on the heavy side for a carry/drive gun.

Offline levi joseph

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:30 AM »
I have yet to shoot it, but yes it is very heavy. fit and finish is real good my only gripe is that the model I got has no forward assist and no dust cover but the price was right and I had the money. It was the only one on the shelf and while I was thinking on the purchase I called dpms and right now their backlog is 6 to 9 months so I RAN  back and got it for it disappeared. I will hopefully get to start breaking in the barrel this weekend but we are cutting hay and there is a possibility of rain so I might have to help my brother in law with that so we can get it bailed before it starts raining. I will post back if I get to shoot it..

Thanks Levi

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
I got one last year and shot it a couple hundred times.. I like it.. the trigger is not like a bolt for pull and smoothness, but accuracy is very good and never had a jam.. still playing with it.. mine has the forward assist and dust cover...I would like a 5 shot or ten shot clip for it to make it more sleek... I have not done much but sight it and plink with it, so no real range reports yet..
the weight is a bit much for a sporter, but I intend to use it a bit first then decide whether to change it or not.. I would bet if you wanted a lighter upper and barrel, someone would trade you in a minute..
I like the lesser recoil, and I hunt from a stand or and often use a pistol.. I will use it... I even sold my Ruger No.  One to ensure I would use it this year coming for deer.
I never tried a lighter model but I bet it is not hard to get sporting arm sized groups, if that suits you.. everything is a trade off.

dk

Offline Explorer1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »
I love my LR308, just need to use it more.....like most of my toys.  I been getting 20 rd mags for ~25 ea from a supplier in CA, feel free contact me for details.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
Check the laws in your state, some do not allow a magazine that hold over 5 rounds.  Better safe than sorry, as you know there are not many Game Warden that cut you slack.

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »
I would like a few five round clips for my dpms 308.
any ideas.
dk

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:56:44 AM »
As for a "lighter" weight AR-10 in .308, I was looking through Rock River Arms catalog, and they have a 16" mid-length with dust cover and bolt assist.  It weighs about 8 pounds.  They had a list price for like $1200, not much more than a AR-15.