Author Topic: Winchester sponsored show on VS  (Read 525 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Winchester sponsored show on VS
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:10:27 AM »
Saw a program on VS today sponsored by Winchester Rifles and Shotgun (not Winchester ammo).  Someone is paying to promote Winchester Rifles and Shotguns so maybe production of these is around the corner.  May even be underway and I just haven't heard yet.

Anybody shed some light on this?

Offline SuperstitionCoues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Winchester sponsored show on VS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »
See my previous post in "Model 70 questions". 

I wonder if they will go so far as featuring a Model 94 on one of the featured hunts?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:16:06 AM »
The Winchester name as it applies to long guns is a strange situation ever since Olin decided they did not want to be in the gun business any longer. First a new company was established and named US Repeating Arms and got the license to use the name. They really didn't last all that long before going belly up more or less and was purchased by the Belgians (Herstal Group) who already owned FN and Browning.

Fast forward a bit: The newer Winchester company now long owned by Herstal decides the few guns still made in the USA are not profitable. Those few guns were by this time limited to the Models 70, 94 and 1300. All other had already long since been made overseas for the most part in either Portugal or Japan. So they closed the doors in the US and ceased all domestic gun production.

But they had a union contract and can't make those three guns anywhere else for an additional two years when that contract expires. So what is happening is that the other Winchester branded long guns continued to be made where they were namely in Portugal and Japan mostly but some Belgian parts were in use at least and maybe some very few actually were made by FN in Belgium.

Olin made a (in my opinion piss poor decision) to allow Browning owned by Herstal to take over the license for Winchester long guns so now the old US Repeating Arms name can be dropped entirely. New guns will still be under the Herstal umbrella and still will be made in the same places as before meaning Portugal, Japan and to some limited extent in Belgium.

Will the M94 and/or M70 come back? Sure most likely the M70 at least but it will not be the gun of old even if it does. But there are currently long guns with the Winchester name on the still being made in those three countries which are really just different branded products similar to the current Browning lines.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »
Very well explained, GB.

I know its been said before, but it is an absolute shame that arguably the most recognized brand of firearm in the world and one that has such an impact in the history of this country, be relegated to a label on a generic firearm.

Even the non-gun types know what a Winchester is.   :'(