Author Topic: Rut in Oklahoma  (Read 765 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Rut in Oklahoma
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »
I plan on hunting in the San Boisie mountains this fall and would like to know when the rut is? The area is in between McCallister and Fort Smith Arkansas.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rut in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
It should peak around late October early November. I use to muzzle loader hunt over at Wister years ago. Back then there were not many folks hunting the muzzle loader season and we had the woods mostly to ourselves. There is some good hunting that part of the state for sure.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
Hooker is right on. Youth season (Oct.17-19) they have usually started chasing and by muzzleloading (I think Oct. 25) it is as good as it gets usually. Way better than rifle season.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
Are there any unusual restrictions on the muzzleloader? Are modern inlines with scopes legal or does it have to be a traditional style?

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »
In lines are fine.  Here is the regs:

DEER Muzzleloader (Primitive Firearms)

License Requirements

Resident: A hunting license and a Legacy permit or proof of exemption. In addition, you must possess a deer primitive firearms license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted or proof of exemption.

Resident Youth: Youth hunters 16 or 17 years old must purchase a hunting license. All youth hunters under 18 years of age may purchase a youth deer primitive license (antlered or antlerless).

Nonresident: Nonresident deer hunters are exempt from a hunting license while hunting deer, but they must possess a nonresident deer primitive firearms license (antlered, antlerless or combination) for each deer hunted and a Legacy permit or proof of exemption. Holders of nonresident lifetime hunting and lifetime combination licenses are not exempt from purchasing deer licenses.

Dates & Open Areas

Oct. 25 - Nov. 2, 2008; statewide.

Antlerless deer may only be harvested on specified days and in zones open to antlerless harvest.

Muzzleloader Limit

One (1) antlered and two (2) antlerless deer (one antlerless deer must be harvested from Zone 2).

Deer taken by hunters participating in muzzleloader season are included in the hunter’s combined season limit.

Unfilled Deer Primitive Firearms Antlered License

Hunters who do not harvest a deer during muzzleloader season may use their unfilled deer primitive firearms antlered license to harvest an antlerless deer on the last day of the muzzleloader season in zones open to antlerless harvest.

Hunters must still comply with the limit restriction of no more than two (2) antlerless deer during muzzleloader season.

Unfilled deer primitive firearms licenses are not valid during any other deer season.

Legal Means of Taking

Muzzleloading rifles, shotguns or pistols: .40 caliber or larger rifle or pistol, or 20-gauge or larger shotgun, firing a single slug or ball that is loaded from the muzzle.

Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season.

Illegal devices: Blackpowder firearms loaded from the breech, laser sights and light enhancement devices (night scopes) are illegal.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »
Thanks, I need to get on their website and ask them to send me a regs booklet. I also need to shoot my muzzleloader some as I haven't played with in a couple of years other than it's annual cleaning.

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
You can get all the regs online or print one if you want.