Author Topic: Ohio Duck/Goose Hunting  (Read 686 times)

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Ohio Duck/Goose Hunting
« on: September 18, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
I've never hunted waterfowl before and thought I'd give it a try this year.  On reading the regs, I'm a bit confused.  I know it's illegal to bait migratory birds.  My situation would be hunting over a corn field that had been harvested.  Later in the season it will probably have been chisel plowed.  Is there anything illegal in doing what I propose to do?

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ohio Duck/Goose Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
That's the way it's done down here in the bottom lands of the Arkansas River.    The waterfowl swarm these soybean, Milo, and corn fields, and the hunters can't wait for season to open.   I've laid flat of my back shooting mallards circling in layers upon layers waiting for their turn to land in a freshly turned under soybean field that couldn't be harvested.   A beautiful sight is to see a perfect goose decoy setup in a harvested corn field.   The hunters in place, the sky filled with geese descending on the decoys, and then the take.   
Don't know about Ohio, but down here it's legal.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:19:03 PM »
I've never hunted waterfowl before and thought I'd give it a try this year.  On reading the regs, I'm a bit confused.  I know it's illegal to bait migratory birds.  My situation would be hunting over a corn field that had been harvested.  Later in the season it will probably have been chisel plowed.  Is there anything illegal in doing what I propose to do?

Grumulkin,

Give the local DNR office a call. When in doubt always call them, because if you misinterpret what they mean they will fine you. If you look at the sticky at the top of the forum there is a link to the DNR page. Lets us all know what they sa because I am reading it right now and it makes no sense to me.

Greg

NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:01:38 PM »
Yea, I'll probably have to call the DNR office.  I was feeling a bit retarded; I'm glad someone else also has problems in understanding what they're trying to say.

Offline Grumulkin

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »
Well, I finally got around to calling the DNR office starting yesterday.  After 2 phone calls and after having talked to about 6 people someone called me back today with all the answers.

Since I own the land I'll be hunting on, I don't need either a license or an Ohio wetlands stamp but still need to get and fill out a "HIP" (Harvest Information Program) form which is available at no charge.  I also need a Federal duck stamp.

It doesn't matter whether or not the corn or other crops have been harvested or not as long as it's done using normal farming methods.  It would not be legal, for instance, to brush hog the corn down because that would obviously not be for farming purposes but obviously for baiting.  As long as the crop is harvested the usual way; no problem.

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »
            Grumulkin:
Good to hear you got the facts.    That's the best way to go.    I haven't hunted waterfowl  in several years, so I did some research myself the other day, and our laws concerning landowners is basically the same as yours.   Plus, I've just turned 64, and won't need a license if I happen to want to hunt somewhere else.    But that probably won't be necessary since the boys usually end up at my place when they can't find ducks anywhere else.   Happy hunting....  ;D
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.