Author Topic: lyman devestator on game  (Read 944 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
lyman devestator on game
« on: June 06, 2003, 11:05:54 PM »
Im thinking of trying it this year in the inline ms. loader with a sabot for dear ive been useing a 300 grain kieth .44 bullet with great results any body try this bullet on game
blue lives matter

Offline Lvl1trauma

• Trade Count: (0)
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 03:48:49 AM »
Lloyd,
I have cast about 250 or so of these bullets so far. They are slow work as it is only a single cavity mold. You got to really rock and roll with it as the HP stem will cool off quickly. I used an alloy of 30 lb of ww, 10 lbs of cable sheathing, and 3 lbs of linotype. Using 19gr of 2400 out of a 5 inch S&W they came apart pretty bad at 100 yds, leaving only the base. I plan on using the same alloy with 6 lbs of linotype next time. PM me if you need a few. I will be glad to send you a handful.

Beau

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 03:06:54 PM »
ive been playin with this bullet in my .44 mag ever since i got he mold from graybeard a few months back. I shoots into just over an inch out of my stainless bisley with 20 grains of 110 and a cci 350  Ive been casting them out of #2 the first batch were out of 20-1 but i had a little problem geting the mold to fill out good. I bet theyd tear a big hole shot out of a muzzle loader ahead of 100 grains of powder!
blue lives matter

Offline Lvl1trauma

lyman devestator on game
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 02:16:43 AM »
That bullet out of a muzzleloader should be hell on game.  I would tend to lean towards the hard side for this bullet. The trick is going to be making it ductile enough to expand yet not shatter or fragment. I think tin will be the key here. I wouldn't go crazy with the linotype. Number 2 alloy should be pretty good.

Beau

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 02:23:14 AM »
I would try wheel weights with 90% lead 2%tin and silver solder. the silver will keep it some what pliable.
lead bullets done right

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 12:32:09 PM »
Hey billy how you doing I thought we may of lost you allready glad to see ya posting!
Quote from: Billy Marr
I would try wheel weights with 90% lead 2%tin and silver solder. the silver will keep it some what pliable.
blue lives matter

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 04:23:20 PM »
yea with arthritis and work it does get hard. thats why we are bowing out of the bullet bussines. Now my son is in the hospital so we are burning candles at each end and down the middle.
lead bullets done right

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 11:44:32 PM »
sorry to here about the kid Ill say a prayer for the both of ya pal!
Quote from: Billy Marr
yea with arthritis and work it does get hard. thats why we are bowing out of the bullet bussines. Now my son is in the hospital so we are burning candles at each end and down the middle.
blue lives matter

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
lyman devestator on game
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 12:12:29 PM »
Prayer out to you son Billy and to you

Heath