Author Topic: Newbie...is 44 cal BP pistol a 45 caliber round ball  (Read 866 times)

Offline BigBossMan

• Trade Count: (1)
    • http://www.whup-a-bug.com
Newbie...is 44 cal BP pistol a 45 caliber round ball
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:33:48 PM »
I know this is a really stupid question for you guys but I have acquired a Petta 44 cal bunt line revolver and I do not see 44 cal round balls but I see 45 cal.  Is this the same for this pistol?  And is there any actuall bullets that work for this model.  Your recommendation would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.
BigBossMan
Life SASS
Life NRA
Vietnam Era Vet

If God Be With Us, Who Can Be Against Us.

Offline BigBossMan

• Trade Count: (1)
    • http://www.whup-a-bug.com
Re: Newbie...is 44 cal BP pistol a 45 caliber round ball
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »
Sorry for the additional question but will the same bullets that fit the Ruger old army fit this revolver also?
BigBossMan
Life SASS
Life NRA
Vietnam Era Vet

If God Be With Us, Who Can Be Against Us.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:45:01 AM »
Ruger bullets won't fit.  Measure your cylinder diameter with calipers and use that as your guide.  Most Italian revolvers mic. out in the 440 to 452 range.  several mold makers make a maxi type ball that works well in b/p revolvers.  Usually best accuracy is achieved with round balls that are large enough to be lightly skinned upon loading; a 441 ball in a 440 chamber ect... I use 457 balls in my Ruger that mics at 456 and get excellent groups at 25 yds.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:04:32 AM »
From what I understand, a Pietta needs at least a .451 ball, I use .454 diameter in both Piettas and Ubertis, the Uberti chambers are a little bit larger.  I have a few Uberti cylinders that require me to use the Ruger .457 size, but in a Pietta or tight Uberti the .457 could bend your loading lever.

Conical bullets are made by Buffalo Bullets, but might not fit under the clearance cut on all Colt types.  I have used Speer 200gr SWC bullets made for the 45ACP, but they are a tight fit on the Colt, fit more easily in the Remington frame.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline BUTCHER45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:08:40 PM »
     One thing you will want to keep in mind about the BBC's Conicals.

I had them calipered at the muzzleloader shop.  The BP bullets marked .451 were really .457 and the ones marked .457 were really .46!  This was using the stores calipers and it's owned by a reputable barrel maker.  That should hep to avoid the confusion I suffered when first using them.
     Also the 200 grain Ball-Et's measure .46 caliber as well.

BUTCHER45

click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 03:37:47 PM »
Buy some .454 rd balls, and some #10 or #11 caps. If you get some of the felt over powder wads you won't need grease. If not, then put a dab of grease, (Crisco works fine) over the end of each chamber after they are all loaded.