Author Topic: Factory Care of Items Returned for Rebarreling  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Factory Care of Items Returned for Rebarreling
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »
It looks like they require you to return your stock set too.  Mine is in perfect condition.  Will it come back in good shape?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Factory Care of Items Returned for Rebarreling
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
That depends, I've sent a few back and only had one bad experience where they chipped my BC butt stock, but they replaced it quickly as soon as they had a replacement. If you can send a beater pallet wood stock, it would be a better choice to send, or do as I do, and send the frame only and order a stock set of your choice, saves on shipping too!! They say they won't test fire the rifle with no stock, but I think they still have to, just takes more time for them to put a stock on it.

And welcome back!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »
The first barrel I sent in for I didn't realize you were supposed to send the stock.  They fit the barrel and sent it back to me in good time.  Don't know if they will do this every time, but did for mine.

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:04:58 PM »
I have sent my actions back to them for new barrels a half dozen times. They have always returned them in excellent shape, packed in a new factory box. And sometimes with an extra part or two as well.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:31:14 PM »
I have sent my actions back to them for new barrels a half dozen times. They have always returned them in excellent shape, packed in a new factory box. And sometimes with an extra part or two as well.

Unfortunately, those extra parts could be from the broken stock! :-\ If you've done six, you're on borrowed time, there have been numerous complaints from members here about damaged/scratched stocks coming back from H&R, so much it was mentioned in the H&R survey!! Many won't send a nice stock in with a frame for an accessory barrel, I won't again!! >:( In my case, the damage happened there, while it was still in their hands, being returned in a new factory box has nothing to do with it, it's their carelessness while they do the fitting and before it gets shipped. I have to give them credit for fixing what they break tho, they do that with the best of em. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,64281.msg389406.html#msg389406

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:30:03 AM »
I have a stock I need to send back to the factory for them to repair/replace.  It was damaged in shipping to me with my extra barrels.

I dont know why they would not wrap a piece of metal in bubble wrap while shipping with a piece of wood.  ???

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:54 AM »
I sent a rifle in for repairs last year and they really messed up the forend. It looked it had been in a vice and tightened too tight. I complained and they replaced it...I would not send any stock that I did not want damaged...

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
Well, I guess I have been lucky, then! Last one I sent in was for the fluted 223 bull barrel, and I sent in the action with my camo lam butt stock. I would have been less than happy had they damaged it! From now on I will send in a beater stock for sure! ::)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
I thought I had a good system.  I have sent for barrels 3 times, each time getting 2 barrels - meaning there is one barrel not connected to the wood.  This is the first time I had trouble.  My buffalo classic came with a plastic gun case and the cardboard box that the gun case came in.  I use this for shipping.  This holds the gun nicely and the gun case fits the cardboard box exactly.  My damage resulted because the gun case was not properly latched and the extra barrel was not wrapped.  So the barrel was bouncing around banging my stock during shipping.  I still think this is as good a method as I can employ for shipping.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »
I sent mine in last winter and told them I was in the middle of a stock trade so could not send the stock.
She said no problem we don't really need it anyway.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »
I never send in the stocks just the frame it fits perfect in that small priority mail box cheaper shipping also.

Offline jhoutdoors

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
I recently got a handi  back from the factory after it was fitted with a 45-70 barrel. At the base of the receiver on one of the rounded edges something scratched the metal enough to remove the blue. It's only about 1/4 of an inch but the metal has rough edges which will have to be dealt with. I'm not extremely upset because it's on the bottom, I'm  just wondering if this is normal? If so I will not send any more new receivers to the  factory, this one was had never even put a round down range yet. Any ideas?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »
I'm sure they'd refinsih it and blue it for ya, all ya gotta do is ask. ;)

Tim

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 04:24:49 PM »
I recently got a handi  back from the factory after it was fitted with a 45-70 barrel. At the base of the receiver on one of the rounded edges something scratched the metal enough to remove the blue. It's only about 1/4 of an inch but the metal has rough edges which will have to be dealt with. I'm not extremely upset because it's on the bottom, I'm  just wondering if this is normal? If so I will not send any more new receivers to the  factory, this one was had never even put a round down range yet. Any ideas?

If you send a different receiver in to be fitted, the barrel probably won't fit any other.  I've owned a bunch, and barrel swaps have only worked for me about 50% of the time.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~