Author Topic: I cant decide  (Read 984 times)

Offline Doug K.A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I cant decide
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
Well like i said in my other post, i cant decide on a new rifle. Its between the NEF handi rifle and the rossi single shot. As for the caliber, I think i want a 270 or 25-06 or something like that. I dont think rossi makes a 25-06 though. If you have a NEF handi rifle or rossi single shot rifle please let me know how it shoots. Does a NEF handi rifle in 270 usually shoot good? I have read alot of mixed opinions and reviews. Thanks
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: I cant decide
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »
I have both. Well sort of. I have two Handi's one in 243 and one in 223. I also have the Huntsman 50 cal. My son has the Rossi 22. We never shoot it. It is nowhere as nice as the NEF firearms and the trigger is horrible. The stock is also not the quality of the handis as far as finish and durability. Me personally, I will never buy another Rossi. I will definitely buy many more NEF's. Good luck in your decision.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
I think they are very comparable rifles.  The Handi's seem to have a better fit and finish, but the Rossi has the better ejector system in my opinion.  They function the same, the Handi may have a smoother barrel, I think they are button rifled and (just my opinion) it looks like the Rossi is broach cut.  Accuracy would be the same I would say, but the Rossi may be harder to clean.  Handi is US made and the Rossi is not.  The cost of a Rossi will probably be quite a lot less, especially if you buy one of the "combo" packages.  Good luck, I have had both.  I personally prefer the Handi, it has a real "Cult" following, with lots of aftermarket stuff and a good barrel program which the Rossi does not have.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »
christopher

I've had two 270s and sold 1 barrel , both were MOA shooters with both the 90 grain and the 130 grain bullets . for whats its worth i like the H&R stock design much better than the Rossi , it just feels better to me .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »
The Handi Rifle barrel acc. program should really be the deciding factor here. Rossie has none and they probably will never get it off the ground. On the other hand you can own about any caliber you want with the Handie's. Except maybe the Mag. calibers.     Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 02:13:09 AM »
Chris,Welcome to G.B.O. The choice is easy,get the handi rifle and to top it off everyone here will help you with any questions or problems you may have!Sorta like a shelf help group  :D And you can have your 25-06 and send it in to get a couple more barrels,just ask Quick.We won't make fun of you honest  :D :D Plus no charge for advise!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:49:06 AM »
Based on your choices I'd go with the NEF Ultra in 270. The one I've worked with shoots great with factory and handloads.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 06:44:46 AM »

To me..the best one to start with would be the 25-06 Ultra..in the checkered laminated stocks  To me...it balances better than the shorter barrels.and is easier to shoot off hand...If you want something that throws heavier bullets...then a 270,280,30-06 .If your strictly going after varmints..then either a 204 or 223...The 25-06 will work as a good long range varmint rig too...it's just the 204/223 is way easier on the shoulder for a long day varmint shooting...The 270's are pretty nice too..they usually work well...and is one of my favorite calibers...but...I just prefer the longer barrels balance...It's a personal thing...One of the better short barrels offered is a 30-30...and is a fine whitetail gun...It's a lot easier on the shoulder than the others...and...it feels about the same as a 25-06 load when loaded with the heavier bullets to me...You could have a real nice combo in a 25-06 & 30-30...and those 2 could cover just about all of your deer hunting needs...close range and long range... I will say this...if you were to ask if you could buy only 1 since of your age...it would be difficult to answer...but...if I had to choose...I would have to say go for the 25-06..It kills cleanly...and is pretty easy on the shoulder...If you were hunting bigger game other than whitetail...I would opt for either the 280 or 30-06 and add a good recoil pad & lead to the stock...and learn to shoot it...Work on your upper body strength with push ups & chin ups then carrying a couple extra pounds of rifle won't matter much...

While others may like the Rossi ...I personally don't care for them..They may work & shoot ok...but I would take a Handi over them any day of the week.The fit & feel of the Handi is far superior to the Rossi to me...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:25:44 AM »
Thanks Mac. I really liked your answer. How much are the ultras? Are they alot more than the regular handis?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

Depending on where you get them...they can run anywhere from $45-$80 more...The stock sets that come with the Ultra's are 100 x better than the pallet wood or the synthetics IMHO...I have also found on all the Ultra's I've owned...they have always had a better trigger pull on them...and a better barrel lock up...Others haven't had such luck...but...I have on all of them..Find a small grind to fit Limb Saver recoil pad for it...and add a nice soft cheek piece and your good to go...I use a Uncle Mikes nylon or neoprene shell holder with just a little soft foam rubber under it..It takes all the face slap out of shooting them and will help keep your head upright on the stock better..Pick up some Winchester Supreme 117 gr Silver BT's and get it sighted in..

Mac

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:07:43 AM »
Thanks Mac. I really like this place. Everyone is nice and helpful. Thanks guys

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:30 AM »

Your Welcome..

Let us know how it turns out for you..

Mac

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »
I've just bought my first Handi myself and love it. Reason I didn't go for a Rossi is because of the one my neighbor bought for his son. It was a 410/22 combo and wasn't worth a dang. At 25 yrds ya couldn't get 20 bb's on a feed sack. The 22 wasn't much better. All three of us tried it.
 Luck to ya but for my money it's a Handi hands down.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »
Mac, i will let y'all know how it turns out but it might be december before i get one. i think i might get one for christmas. Andrew, what caliber is yours?? is it a standard handi, an ultra or what????? Thanks Everybody let me know how yours shoots Andrew

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 04:13:01 AM »
I bought a standard 45/70 handi rifle. Just bought a stock set without the pistol grip and a longer forearm. I'll get a Williams peep sight for it next and then get the next barrel I want! ::)
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »
OK this might be a dumb question but don't laugh at me, what does sub MOA mean. Im pretty sure that i know what MOA means, mirror of angle. am i right??? i greatly appreciate all the help and advice y'all have given me. Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 07:02:49 AM »
I think you are on the wrong web site.
We are more like collectors than deciders.
You should buy all of the above and tell use the good and bad reports.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:24 AM »
"collectors not deciders" I like that. good one partsman
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
  Go with the NEF....
    I have several NEFs and had a Rossi 22/410 that I gave to my Grandaughter. While the Rossi was quite good with the .410, it would not hold a candle to the sportster or Versa-pack I have with the .22.
  The big factor being the availability of barrels for a NEF base unit. I could keep the .410 and .22 LR barrels on my Versa-Pack..and add perhaps a 20 ga, .357 or 45 Colt and  have a very useful, very compact 4 gun battery behind my truck seat...
  Conversely; I could put my .22 LR & .410 Versa-Pack barrels with my SB2 base and have any number of other barrels....for an extremely versatile rifle..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)