Author Topic: Trigger Job  (Read 488 times)

Offline ryans63

• Trade Count: (0)
Trigger Job
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:26:57 AM »
What does one actually go when they are doing a trigger job. Its polishing certain parts to my understanding, but what parts, how are they polished etc? When they say "polish" is it the type of polishing you would do with a polishing wheel etc, you are actually polishing the metal? Thanks for any help/info.
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Re: Trigger Job
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:19:52 AM »
If we told you; we'd have to kill you. 

Seriously, performing a trigger job entails polishing ares around the sear and the hammer.  Also, some of the metal may be removed to lighten trigger pull spring tension may be reduced.  This is a job in which 0.001" makes a big difference and should be left to a qualified gunsmith.  A polishing wheel may be used to buff the finish of a part.  Most of the work is done with a stone or a file.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »
A very very fine stone or file. I use mostly hard Arkansas stone or Crocus cloth.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Castaway

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
"Trigger Job" is a loose term.  For technical work, I also use a hard stone for metal removal and polishing, but sometimes use my wife's fingernail buff pads for polishing.  Another factor is the spring which loads the hammer.  Sometimes, removing a coil will go a long way to lightening the pull, but may result in too light of a primer strike to reliablbly ignite the primer.  If you are talking about a Ruger Black Hawk, lifting one of the spring legs of the mousetrap spring off of the grip frame will lighten the pull considerably.  Years back, in another life, I had the fortune to attend the Beretta's Armorer's Course.  The instructor was an old Danish gent whose name will remain unsaid.  He related when he had his own shop and someone came in wanting a trigger job, he made a big deal of logging the pistol in and telling the customer to come back in two weeks.  In the meantime, he would put positive pressure on the hammer, pull the trigger and repeat a few times.  He was force wearing the hammer and sear to give a better pull.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »
You must work these areas very very carefully with a super fine Arkansas stone. Don't do to much at a time. Cause once you've gone too far you've got a big problem. This means do a little honing, then clean it and put it back together and try it. Once you have the trigger close to were you want it you can use a polishing wheel to give it the final touch. It's takes time to get it right. But worth it.
And also what has been said already, you can work on the spring tension along with working on the trigger.
GOOD LUCK