Author Topic: Lyman 311-407  (Read 685 times)

Offline bearjw

• Trade Count: (0)
Lyman 311-407
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:06 PM »
Hello all. This is my first time posting here I believe. I have been lurking for a while, and have been able to pick up some good info. So I thought I may be able to get some help here. I have a Lyman 311-407 mould, and would like to use the bullets in my Ruger #1 .308 win. I have already asked a couple of trusted friends for advice, but thought that I may be able to glean a few more nuggets of wisdom by posting my query here. I have never used cast bullets in high powered rifles before. I would like some suggestions on lubes. I also want to know how much lube is necessary. Because of the chamber on my rifle, I will have to seat these bullets pretty deep into the case. So much so, that the bottom three grooves will be past the case neck, that is including the groove that is created by the gas check. I assume that because I am useing a crimp on check that they will not cause me problems by being seated past the case neck. After a discussion with a friend, it was determined that leaving lube in these bottom three grooves could contaminate the powder, so I am intending to remove the lube from those grooves. Also there will be three grooves left out of the case neck. I assume that the lube will need to be removed from them so as not to collect dust etc. That leaves three grooves in the case neck that are lubed. Is that enough lube? Should this bullet be seated to touch the lands, or just off of them? Is it necessary to crimp these bullets? Do I need to bell the case mouth for seating if I am not seeing any evidence of the bullets being shaved? I guess I really need someone to walk me through this process, or maybe point me towards some literature that is specific about using cast bullets in high powered rifles. Thanks for any and all help.

J.W.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Lyman 311-407
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:47:01 AM »
 First welcome to GB. While it not good to seat the bullet base INTO the powder it CAN be done. You could also seat the bullet with out lubing it. Then before loading and shooting it you could HAND lube it. I'm not sure but that is a 180 grain bullet, correct ? It is more suited for the 30-06 case with a long neck. You can check with the guys at castboolits.com for more/better info on this.

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: Lyman 311-407
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
Hello, BEARJW

You are indeed welcome here.  However, when I ran a check on Google to get a description of the Lyman bullet you have requested loading data for, I ran into another website where you had posted the exact inquiry on 8/11/07 and received excellent advise by 8/14/07.  A member on that website went to a great deal of effort to give you great advise.  His user name is leftoverdj.  I think I have seen him on the this site.

What else are you looking for?  I take my time very seriously and I would have wasted time in duplicating what leftoverdj gave you already.

Harold Clark