Author Topic: What is the name for the type of carriage...  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
What is the name for the type of carriage...
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:55:31 PM »
.. that has two wheels in front like a naval truck, but the rear sits flat on the deck?

I've been looking for photos and/or drawings of this type of carriage but without knowing the name I haven't had any luck.

I have a couple of old iron wheels and some extra oak. I've been thinking of building another, more compact carriage for my Napoleon barrel.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: What is the name for the type of carriage...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:18:25 PM »

Its this what your looking for?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »
Are you looking for the Marsilly type of carriage??? I don't have a photo on hand but, you can find it on the web.

Found one here. It's small scale but it works.

http://www.va6bc.no-ip.com/jerry_pix/cannons/model%20cannons%20004.jpg
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »
     Terry C.,   Farmer Dean, a GBO Cannoneer,  did an excellent job on his full size Marsilly Carriage a while back.  Look for the thread titled, "1841 Project Finished", presently located on page 8. 

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
Marsilly.

Thanks!

That's what I needed, I've been able to search out a few good pics using "marsilly carriage."

Not really looking for exact dimensions, I'm mainly trying to get the correct proportions in my head before I start drawing plans.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »
You could get AOP No.24 which is a 60 pounder Parrott on a Marsilly carriage.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »
Haven't had much time to work on the oak sled for the GB mortar, every time I get a free afternoon it rains.

So I've been tinkering with the Marsilly carriage in CAD. Thanks for the link GGaskill, but I think I have it worked out to my satisfaction. It was never meant to be a nut & bolt reproduction. What I wanted was to build it to fit the barrel and hardware that I have, while keeping the outward appearance of the design.

As far as construction, the main prerequisites were that it use these old iron wheels:

..and this brass elevator screw:

I made this elevator when I made the one that I used in my field carriage. The two antique brass faucet handles were bought from the same source:

This is what I have so far:

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
     Terry C.,    We just wanted you to see how nice this type of carriage can look if it is well made and cared for.  Mike and I found this one in Hartford, CT at Trinity College recently.  They lavished lots of time on this carriage with some super-smooth sanding and at least four coats of spar varnish.  I bet even DD would probably like this beauty.  Your wheels are good looking and would work well with this carriage type.  The elevation adjusting wheel would probably work as your line drawing shows, certainly not as the 9" Dahlgren's is arranged.

Regards,
Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
Terry C
The carriage at Trinity college in hartford CT, is a Dalghren  one of two carriages that are from the USS Hartford.  I was involved in the rebuilding of the carriages only as a resource  person. Rob used my plans as a reference to build the carriages.  The carriage with two wheels is a carronade.   I have information and pictures of this carriage that i used to build a few carriages.  This cannon has a center trunion that uses a pair of pillow blocks to attach it to the base.  At this moment I can't put my hands on the pictures of the carriage but if you look at our web site (dicannonworks.com)there is a a picture of the cannon.  Let me know if I can be of any help.
Len
DICW

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Yeah, the elevator throws a twist into the design. All of the Marsilly photos show the carriage with either a Dahlgren or a Parrot. Both of these having the long elevator screw at the breech. My barrel is a ¼-scale 12-pounder 1857 Napoleon.

I had originally laid out a four wheeled truck with a screw elevator instead of a quoin. Didn't like the way my barrel looked in that carriage. To me, it looks much more at home in the Marsilly, but the barrel dictates the type and placement of the elevator.

Besides, I put a lot of work into this elevator. I'm proud of it. I wanna use it! ;D

The wheels, on the other hand, are not very pretty. But they are solid and will clean up well enough to be presentable. And they have history, and value beyond their practicality.

They will be used.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:24:36 PM »
lendi, you replied while I was typing.

I really like the looks of the carriage in the previous post, good job!

My carriage is not as tall in relationship to length as most of the Marsilly photos. I did this because of the more slender profile of my barrel compared to the Dahlgren.

I'm still a long way from cutting wood (I have to finish the GB mortar sled first) so there still might be some minor tweaks in the design.

One change that needs to be made (and I forgot to do it before I exported the drawing to JPEG) is to move the elevator assembly, and the bulkhead it screws into, to the rear about ½".

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:50 PM »

This is a beautiful gun,  The workmanship on that carriage is out of this world fabulous, it will one be one incredible looking piece when they get it finished...