Author Topic: .38-55 long range report  (Read 1259 times)

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
.38-55 long range report
« on: August 12, 2007, 04:51:38 AM »
did some shooting while i was at my hunting camp last week. i was doing some long range shooting with my varmint rifles at 400 yards, when a friend got a real neat idea. he grabbed the .38-55 and said we should give it a try. well, im game for just about anything. only trouble was the only loads i had there were my light target loads (10 grains unique, 240 gr laser cast RNFP). i told him to give it a go and ill call the shots. i put a milk jug out at my target satand and got ready. he took his first shot and it landed a full 100 yards short! he loaded another round and added 10 FEET of elevation (he was already 5 feet above for the first shot). he shot his next round and it landed a little short. i told him to add another 2 feet. third shot was right next to the bottle. he corrected and put the next 3 shots right into the bottle. my turn. i put 2 bottles back to back with 5 inches of newspaper between them in hopes of stopping one of the bullets for recovery. i took me 3 shots to get the windage and elevation right and then i was off to the races. hits with the next 3 shots. went to check the targets and to my surprise, the shots fell into a 3 INCH GROUP!! this experience gave me all the respect int he world for the old time creedmoor shooters and BPCR shooters. btw the rifle is scoped right now until all my load testing is done. no pics yet, will post some when i get the chance.

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
Re: .38-55 long range report
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:36:35 AM »
Sounds like a good time.
I'b be headed back out there with some serious loads and a tang sight.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »
Very interesting. Keep us posted.

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »
rbergum95 ... The Target Model will do even better than 400 ...
Was shooting 1000 yds black powder this year (45-70).  Was having fun with the pigs at 300 yds with the H&R 38-55.  Decided to see if the reloads would carry to a pallet at 800 yds that was on the range - Yep!  Vernier sight.

There's a fella over on the Shiloh Rifle forum that posted pictures of his groups - BP in a 38-55 ... 1000 yds!
Regards
John Boy

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
ill have to try that next time im up there. ive got enough open land to go to about 800 safely.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »
Very interesting.  I just about have mine where I can start shooting it again, with the Dixie scope mounted.  Am working on the elevation system at this time and this is real encouraging.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!