Author Topic: 204 BB Still not Shooting Well  (Read 772 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
204 BB Still not Shooting Well
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:27:29 AM »
I am getting 1-1/2 to 2 inch groups. But I have not done FredM's mod to the fore-stock yet, I have just epoxied in an aluminum pillar. Next time to the range I will shoot without the fore-stock as a baseline and then I will carry out the mod and compare. Maybe the fore-stock bedding mod is more important than I have hereto for believed.
I think I'll try some lighter loads too, I maybe pushing it too hard---------------flat primers.

I was going to add that my interest in Handi's is on the wane but then I just picked my 204 with cinnamon lam stocks out of my safe and aimed it out the back yard---------------- very nice balance and nice fit and finish-- if I could just get it to shoot I would be happy.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 204 BB Still not Shooting Well
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
I've got real good results with the 40gr Vmax and BL-C2 using Hodgdon data, was at 1¼"-1½" with the best of any factory ammo, but with a 1" square of refirgerator magnet as a forend pressure point, I got a .904" clover shaped group, still need to fine tune the load with different seating depths, but I think I'm getting there.

The refrigerator magnet pressure point has worked on several rifles eliminating or reducing vertical stringing and helping round out groups, is easy to do and real obvious if it helps or doesn't. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »
Hi Tim

Intawesting, where does the magnet go , up front near the muzzle end of the fore-stock I suspect??. If so this is consistent with FredM's advise to tend to 'bend' the fore-stock when tighening the screw. i Don't now why it has taken me so long to get around to fore-stock mods. I have so many guns to shoot I kind of gave up on the 204.

Mc

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »
quicktdoo

Is the fridge magnet thing in the FAQ? My 204 shoots fine but I am still fighting with my 243. Last weekend I shot a 4" group at 100 and a cloverleaf at 50. Go figure.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
I think there's a link in the accurizing section, although it may be a business card that's used in there.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
MC
Sorry to hear that you can't get that 204 to group. Something is loose in one of the joints, is what I think. Mayby the barrel is rattling off that pillar you installed.
That forearm screw got to be isolated and a pillar will not do that.

All my #1 Rugers are set up like that and non shoot over 3/4". The Ruger fore arm is just as bad as the Handi fore arm but is easier to fix since no hinge is involved. I even did this system on my 17HMR Win Low wall.

Uplift pressure on both ends of the fore arm and a rubber washer or o-ring between the barrel and the forearm. The screw will bend the forearm putting pressure fore and aft and the rubber washer will act both as a damper and isolator.

When all this fails send your rifle to Ron Smith have it rebored to 6mmm using
the 204 chamber and call it 6mmx204 1-12" twist and never look back.

This rig will shoot 55 and 58gr bullets and give the 204 a run for the money.
My6x47 Handi is an absolute darling.

Tim, what is this magnet all about what is the princible. How does it work and by which means.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
Mc, On reloading for your 204 have you tried Reloader 10x yet? I have loaded for the Sierra 32 grain blzk. and the 39 grain blzk. I have had good success with the 10x powder. The load for the 32 grain was 26.3 grain which is a max load using the cci br-4 primer. The load for the 39 grain was 25.1 which again is a max load using the cci br-4 primer. I will try and post the pictures of what I shot today, In my younger days I was a little more steady and don't think I would have any flyer's but that's life. My gun has constantly shot 1/2" and 3/4" groups and to me that would have been fine but at 16 bucks a box, thats  last months price,  I know they will go up with everything else in price. What powders have you been using? Sometimes it takes alot of loads before you find the one that works best for you. Over at http://www.204ruger.com/ they have a sticky on favorite loads it might help in finding one that will work for you.  Good luck,  Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
Thanks fellas' for all the input!!!!!!! I have tried BL-C(2) and H335. The BL gives pressure signs at mid loads and the H335 just plain shoots too hot----ie the barrel gets hot from a few shots. I am going back to basic single-base stick. IMR4895, it's been good in everything else so I will give it a try along with 4198.

Thanks again

Mc