Author Topic: CONVERSION CYLINDERS  (Read 882 times)

Offline EDELWEISS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CONVERSION CYLINDERS
« on: August 11, 2007, 06:56:09 AM »
Im not sure where to list this so I also listed it on the Single Action site.

Ive always been a fan of Cap & Ball revolvers and I especially like the looks of the open top Colts.  Ive been thinking about buying one (I havent decided on a model), and adding the cartridge conversion cylinder.  It would be mostly for play; but Id consider packing it on a hike if it works.  Am I correct that as long as no permanent modifications are made to it remains a non regulated item?

This wouldnt be for self defense but more just as a hiking gun with high marks for "coolness", sorta "...'scuse me while I whipps this out..."  I understand that a reload is not likely to be quickly accomplished.  Im wondering if they are reliable or just a toy.  Im happy to shoot only cowboy loads. 

Im not fixated on the open top Colts, infact the Rugers seem heavy duty if thats an issue

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
Re: CONVERSION CYLINDERS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »
This was answered in another section. 

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:06:22 AM »
my experiance has only been with the 51 navy conversions, both Kirst and R&D.  I like the R&D mounted conversion ring better, but eigther will work well.  I have no experiance with the drop incylinders.

If I was looking for a woods packing gun I'd probably stick with the 51 navy or 60 army in cap and ball and seal the caps with wax like the originals were or just use a single action cartrige gun.

Any of the colts or remingtons can be made reliable, but few are out of the box and neigther will be as reliable as the ruger.  That's not to say they wouldn't work perfectly fine though.  The only way I would buy a Ruger is to convert it to cartrige and have a "off the books" gun.  Not that I need one, but it is an exceptionaly well built revolver, very reliable, and perfect for converting back and forth.  However it has no history to it and I don't care for it.  It would make the ultimate woods gun though, you could shoot cap and ball or use the conversion cylinder in 45colt and you could stake your life on it.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline 06shooter

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 03:59:50 PM »
I have an R&D conversion cylinder on my 1858 Remington replica and love.  Keep in mind you aren't shooting anything more potent that black powder-equivilent loads.