Author Topic: 0.666 Teufel New Gopher Cartridge.  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
0.666 Teufel New Gopher Cartridge.
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:07 AM »
SPECIFICATIONS

Bullet Diameter:
 .666 in.

Max Overall Length:
 4.500 in.

Rifling Twist:
 1-in-10.0 in.

Rifling Lands:

Case Capacity (est):
 322 gr. water

Primer Size:
 .210 in.

NOMINAL PERFORMANCE

Bullet Weight:
 1200 gr

Muzzle Velocity:
 2200 fps

Muzzle Energy:
 12902 ft-lbs

This ought to make a good Handi caliber.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 0.666 Teufel New Gopher Cartridge.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Fred M

Should work real good as long as you have it straped to a jeep or maybe a 2 1/2 ton .  ;D , were did you find that thing ?  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
I do not think I would want that thing an way close to my body. :o :o I am with Stimpy, strap it down on something big, just not me. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
Here in the Police States of America, a .66 cal would be a 'destructive device'. Just the thing to own if you want to be a test case for whether the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution really guarantees a right to keep arms. Maybe they will give you the cell next to Hollis Wayne Fincher so you'll have somebody worth talking to for the next 20 years.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
I guess I better give up on that .70cal I read about in CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD that WINCHESTER was suppose to have had.
Based on a BRASS 12ga shell with a 900 grain bullet over 200 grains of black powder.

Or should I?    ::)
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
That's impressive Fred!! If you all want to read about big bullets going fast, check out the 700 Hubel Express which is based on a 50BMG case, and Ed's thread here on the 12ga from Hell, one of his test mules is a 12ga USH which will push a 600gr bullet to 2000fps!! ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,79991.msg574237.html#msg574237

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,79991.msg1098505494.html#msg1098505494

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=611

This is a .700 caliber cartridge for large bolt actions. Developed by Ed Hubel, cases are formed by reworking .50 BMG cases to have a belt and fireformed to have straight sides.

At regular hunting velocities, cases will last a hundred reloads at 2300-2500 fps with 1000 gr. bullets. We have tested 825 gr bullets also. We tested one case in a large test barrel a few dozen times with moderate and heavy loads. When sectioned, brass showed very little thinning. The case design is extremely strong.

SPECIFICATIONS

Bullet Diameter:
 .700 in.

Max Overall Length:
 4.500 in.

Rifling Twist:
 1-in-22.0 in.

Rifling Lands:

Case Capacity (est):
 312 gr. water

Primer Size:
 .315 in.

NOMINAL PERFORMANCE

Bullet Weight:
 1000 gr

Muzzle Velocity:
 3000 fps

Muzzle Energy:
 19994 ft-

----------

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
BTW, what's the distinction between a permissible 12ga rifled slug gun and a .70 cal banned rifle?

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »
BTW, what's the distinction between a permissible 12ga rifled slug gun and a .70 cal banned rifle?

A "12 gauge rifled slug gub" is still considered a smoothbore by the ATF - thus exempt from the <.500" bore destructive device law.  ...provided its not one of the named shotguns that have no sporting purpose(theres only a couple).

And just because its over .500", it doesn't mean its banned.   If it can be shown to have a sporting purpose it will be exempted,  examples: 600NE, 700NE, 550NE, 577NE, 585 Nyati, etc, etc..    All of which can be easily purchased so long as you have the big $bucks$.

A destructive device is a firearm or explosive device that, in the United States, is regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934. Examples of destructive devices are grenades, and firearms with a bore over one half of an inch, including some semi-automatic shotguns. While current federal laws allow destructive devices, some states have banned them from transfer to civilians. In states where banned, only law enforcement officers and military personnel are allowed to possess them.

All National Firearms Act firearms including destructive devices, must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, who then closely monitor use, transport, and storage of the items.

The definition of a "destructive device" is found in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f). The definition reads as follows:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.

(2) Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

(3) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term destructive device shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned or given by the Secretary of the Army, pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of Title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.[1]
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
The name Teufel ( devil) suggests that it is German and is perhaps not retricted by ATF destructive device laws.

It is as I read it a new cartridge, but no particulars were included. It could maybe have military applications. Sooner or later we may hear more about it.

For a shoulder weapon it would need special recoilless design, not all that
hard to do. This 17mm is not  all that far from the 20mm anti aircraft gun.

I doubt it has civilian applications.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
I think something of that size is preposterous,  Illegal??  No it shouldn't be, never should.  There is no hunting reason for it on earth, that I know of.  I can definitely see a target use for it.  Talk about a BLAST!!!  I believe we have a right to own it if we want it...that's fundamental.  I'm talking to my dealer now to see what he'll offer me for a trade on my Red Ryder, it'll put that gun out of business!!
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
Ammoguide has the 666 Teufel listed now.

Tim

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=686

http://www.2-bore.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
Yes that is where I saw it. Someone on another forum is building a rifle. Can't tell you the forum because GB does not allow the mention of it.

Anyway the rifle needs to weigh 25-40lbs if you have the courage to shoot one.
Someone mentioned that he did not know wether the elephant or the shooter got hurt more.

Bullets and brass are incredible expansive, the components for one round
are well over $150. If you are not insane prior to shooting a rifle of the sorts,
you sure will be after or perhaps paralyzed from the neck down with a severed
vertebrae.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.