Author Topic: Burris FF2 or Nikon Buckmaster which one?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline jpstrait

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris FF2 or Nikon Buckmaster which one?
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:18 AM »
Hello to all, I have about $200 to spend on a scope and no more (as per the wife) that I will be putting on a Remington 700 ADL 30-06. I currently have a Weaver 4x but would like to upgrade and use the Weaver as a backup. After much research it seems the best bang for the buck is either the Burris or Buckmaster in 3x-9x. My questions are: Is the Burris to short for a long action, will I need extended rings? Does the Buckmaster have multicoat lenses and is it a one piece tube? I don't believe I could go wrong with either, but those with experience with one or the other or both would be greatly appreciated, so as to tip the scales. Thanks, J-P.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Burris FF2 or Nikon Buckmaster which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »
I have 3 Burris and 2 Buckmasters..........all are great scopes...take ur pick.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:22:01 PM »
I have to agree with Larry, I've got 3 Burris and 2 Buckmasters,  pick the one with the reticle you like, I really like the ballistic plex reticle, and even tho the current production Buckmasters have 92% light transmission, the Burris has 95%. ;) I'm pretty sure they're both made in the Philippines, so that's a wash if it makes any difference. ;) One point that may make a difference to you if you use scope covers is the entire ocular bell rotates to change the power setting on the Burris, the Buckmasters has a traditional power ring.

Tim

http://burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=16&subgroup=10&product=6420

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=27

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=55
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
I wanted to replace a Weaver V2.5x7 with a Burris using the same base and rings.  It was a no go because the available tube to mount on was to short on the Burris.  This was a Sav. 110 long action.  I believe the Buckmaster provides a little more space for mounting.  Otherwise the Burris FFII seems to be okay.  Because of the short mounting tube if I had to do it over I would have purchased the Buckmaster.  The Burris also required taller rings then the Weaver. 

Changing base mounts on the Savage was not an option because I have the bases locked down and I did not want to mess-up a accurate rifle.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
Siskiyou ,

I think you're thinking of the older Fullfield which had a really short front tube which is different than the Fullfield II. The 3-9x Buckmasters and FFII are pretty much identical in length dimensions. They each have ~5¾" of tube mounting space, the Nikon has maybe 1/8" more tube ahead of the turret saddle.

Tim

A quick pic, Nikon on top.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jpstrait

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll just put the two next to each other and see which one the eye likes best. Thanks, J-P.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »
I bought the Burris new December 2, 2006 at a Sportsman's Warehouse.   Earlier in the day I had held a Nikon ProStaff and Buckmaster side by side at another location decided that if I bought one of them it would be a Buckmaster because of the greater mounting surface.  I should have done the same comparison between the Burris and the Buckmaster the guys behind the counter would have been happy to help.  The length of the Buckmaster is 12.7 inches long, and the Burris FFII is 12.3 inches long. http://www.burriscompany.com/fullfield.html

In this case I should have went with my gut feeling and went with the Buckmaster.  The lession I learned was to look at the length of the mounting tube, and the impact the large power ring will have on mounting.  An additional consideration is the diameter of the front objective.  The larger the objective the taller mounts one needs.  If a longer scope tube puts the front bell beyond the chamber taking advantage of barrel smaller barrel diamenter one might chose a lower mount.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
After finding the Burris FFII too short to mount on my 110CL I still wanted to replace the old but good Weaver on the rifle.  The FFII went on a M760.  Today I ordered a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 for the rifle.  Hopefully I’ll have it mounted and sighted in for this deer season(s).

I was impressed with the Buckmaster the first time I checked it out, but the deal on the Burris FFII hooked me.  Admittedly the continue recommendations on this form for the Buckmaster convinced me that it offers a very good value.   My goal is to leave the current scope on the rifle unit I am at the range, and install the scope then.  It will only take a few minutes, and that way the rifle is still available to me.  It seems that every year just before hunting season time starts to compress so I do not want to risk putting the rifle out of action because of a late scope switch.

IF the Buckmaster comes up short I will buy as set of extended Weaver mounts.