Author Topic: Bushnell Trophy Mil-Dot or Nikon Prostaff BDC?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Loki_762

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell Trophy Mil-Dot or Nikon Prostaff BDC?
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
I am looking to mount a scope on my .270 for this fall, and I have narrowed it down to either a Bushnell Trophy or a Nikon Prostaff, as they are both in my price range (around $150 max.)  I like the Trophy because I can get it with a mil-dot reticle.  I have one of the Mueller 8.5x25 scopes with the mil-dot reticle, and I have gotten pretty good at using the mil-dots.  However, I have also heard a lot of interesting things about the Nikons with the BDC reticle.  I guess I am leaning towards the Bushnell, simply because I know how to use the mil-dot system.  However, I am leery of the quality of a $99 scope, and I am wondering how it's quality compares to that of the Nikon.  Does anyone have any input they could give me on either one of these scopes?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Bushnell Trophy Mil-Dot or Nikon Prostaff BDC?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:13:35 AM »
The Bushnell Trophy line is a good line of scopes and a solid value. I've put them thru some tough testing and have no doubts it will hold up to your .270 just fine. One of the toughest tests I ever gave a Trophy was one of their 2-6 handgun scopes.

It was mounted on my S&W 629 Classic DX with 8-3/8" barrel a very heavy handgun. I had a shooting house I was hunting from and as I was getting ready to leave it one day my S&W fell from the shoulder holster I was carrying it in onto the wood floor of the stand and landed right on the scope with all the weight bearing on it and the drop was from about 3.5' to 4' at least.

When I got home that day I took it out to my back yard shooting range to see how much damage had been done. To my surprise it was still dead on zero where it had been prior to the fall and no damage at all had been done to it.

Unless you drop your rifle on your scope I doubt you'll test its limits anymore severely than that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Loki_762

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bushnell Trophy Mil-Dot or Nikon Prostaff BDC?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »
GB,
Thanks for the reply - that is what I needed to hear!  I think I will order one now...
Chris