Author Topic: Finally made it to the range.  (Read 604 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Finally made it to the range.
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:18:19 PM »
 Shot the 243 ultra 30-06 ultra comp & BIG GIRL (45-70)  I polished all my barrels last week so didnt know what to expect  the 243 did ok   Had some vertical stringing about 2 inches from top to bottom. Centered right over the bullseye Shoulda been nice tight group . The vertical stringing was there for 20 rnds ,75 grn vmax.  Me or the gun , not sure. The 30-06. not so good 3 inch pattern around the bullseye.  Never tightened up. 150 grn rem corelocts. Usually have a little better luck with those.  BIG GIRL didnt let me down. 1 1/2 inch groups with occasionall  flyer 300 grn rem hps. Gonna try some 165 hornady interloc sst for the 06.  I know  it takes a few rounds  after polishing for accuracy to improve. But wheres the vertical stringing coming from? I was glad to get out of the house. So all & all a good day.     Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
Re: Finally made it to the range.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
Oh Yeah This was the first time I shot with the camo lam thumbhole stock. NICE ,but gunna take some getting used to.

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:23:51 PM »
Good deal. I have had great results with the Fusion 95 grains in my Handi 243. Very affordable as well.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
Shoot it supported under the frame on a rest with no forend on it, if the vertical stringing disappears, you need to work with the forend. Try an O-ring on the forend stud, or better yet, put a 1" square of fridge magnet in the forend about an inch from the muzzle end, tighten the forend screw to 24-30 inch/lbs, the forend pressure point has worked very well for me on a bunch of Handis! ;) The forend shouldn't be too tight either, it should just keep the action snug when it's open, no felt wiggle, flat sand the flat side of the spacer to reduce tension on the barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
The 243 is gonna be used with a bipod, would U still do the magnet .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
I'd give it a try, I haven't tried it with a bipod yet. Shoot it from the rest without the forend first, and go from there. You may need to full lenth bed the forend to allow the use of a front rest anywhere but under the frame. Be sure to let us know how it works. ;)

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:00:22 AM »
The forend shouldn't be too tight either, it should just keep the action snug when it's open, no felt wiggle, flat sand the flat side of the spacer to reduce tension on the barrel.

Tim
Tim, this is what got me thinking about what I emailed you about!
Richard
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:22:28 AM »
Richard, you have mail!! ;D