Author Topic: Part needed / Ramrod Holder  (Read 2289 times)

Offline groggy

• Trade Count: (0)
Part needed / Ramrod Holder
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
Well my swivel stud worked loose and I almost dropped my Huntsman out of the tree stand.  I managed to catch the sling at the last second and though the gun didn't fall to the ground I smacked the end of the barrel against the platform.   >:(   Ramrod and internal parts went flying.  Of course it was dark at the time.  So, assuming I'm not able to find the parts I'm going to need to replace the spring steel ramrod keeper and the nut that the swivel stud screws into.  Any suggestions on finding a replacement keeper?  Thanks....

Oh, BTW, I WILL be loctiting then in the future.

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Part needed / Ramrod Holder
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:29:25 AM »
You may try to make one out of some 1/2" metel banding or a flexable hack saw blade. The nut could be bought a a local hardware store,take the stud with to match the threads. The metal has a halfmoon rise in it to hold the rod in the forarm.

Offline groggy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:52:57 AM »
Zeak, That's a good idea, thanks.  I replaced the nut and the swivel stud so that I could use my sling, now I just need to replace the holder.  Is there a spring in there, too?  If someone could take a pic of the parts and reply to this thread I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks, Steve

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:55:49 AM »
There is no spring under the medal. Just the tension of the halfmoon curve holds the rod in place. I would do a picture, wifes camera is in the shop at this moment. Zeak

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »
On mine, NEF/H&R uses a small nut which is attached to the sling stud,   to hold the spring in place.  Here's a pic of mine. Since you still have the nut & sling stud, all you have to do is what Zeak suggested.

You may try to make one out of some 1/2" metel banding or a flexable hack saw blade. The nut could be bought a a local hardware store,take the stud with to match the threads. The metal has a halfmoon rise in it to hold the rod in the forarm.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline groggy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
That's great!  Thanks guys!!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
groggy,

Keep us posted on how you make the ramrod spring.  I am planning a second H&R smokeless MZ and am going to modify a forestock for the ramrod (please find some more brass for my next ramrod Mr. Hubbard!).   I was thinking of getting a harbor freight feeler gage and using the appropriate feeler for the spring.  Probably have to do a little hillbilly heat treatn' to make it work, but I was born in Kentucky so no problem. ;)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
picture frame spring clips work like a charm, with just minor work

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
picture frame spring clips work like a charm, with just minor work
Great idea, never even thought of that.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:42:43 AM »
OK guys, I need one also, so what is a "picture frame spring clip"? Perhaps a description, picture, or sketch of one if someone could do that for me?...Thanks, and Merry CHRISTmas to all....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the info and link Brewster....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jenkst

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
Use a little loctite used on scope screws after you get the right tension on spring. They can be a pest to keep tight without some loctite on it.    jenkst