Author Topic: .243 Handi's and cast bullets.  (Read 844 times)

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
.243 Handi's and cast bullets.
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
I read about .243 Handi's shooting factory ammo but not cast. I would imagine if shooting cast you would want the bullet to be quite hard. Anybody here shoot cast in their .243's?
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline Lucky Joe

• Avid Poster
Re: .243 Handi's and cast bullets.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:40:31 PM »
Well I'll be darned. This has been read 52 times and no replies. I would think somebody casts bullets for the .243 would it help if I add the .22 Hornet.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:35:46 AM »
Hornets and especially the .243 are hotrods, cast is usually shot at about 1000fps, so they really aren't suited for the task.  If you want to have a go at it find some linotype cast bullets and see what you can do.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:33:07 AM »
The Lyman 48th has one cast load and their Cast Bullet Handbook has 3 loads for the 243, but in comparison to other chamberings, data is sparse making me think it isn't a great choice for a cast bullet shooter. Their comment in the 48th is to keep velocity at or below 2000fps and in the Handbook best accuracy was with a 245497 bullet at 1700fps and capped velocity at 1750fps with all 3 bullets as accuracy rapidly fell off if exceeded.  Greg Mushial has a bunch of data of many centerfire chambering for low velocity cast loads, but the 243 is absent.

I would suggest you pick up one of those Lyman books if you haven't already. ;)

Have fun,

Tim

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/addata.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:29:36 AM »
Just now starting in on the RCBS 24-100.  No success yet (1 load using 2400).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
There was a article a while back in I think fouling shot or another cast bullet magazine that was talking about high speed cast in rifles. They were using normal powders, but they were making sure the pressure stayed under the plastic flow pressure of the lead or linotype. By using powders that would let them stay under that pressure they were getting speeds of 2800 fps in the .223 they were shooting. They also did several .30 cal rounds the same way. The main reason you can not go fast with the normal powders used, IE pistol type powders is the pressure spike comes too soon and it is too high. I will look and see if I can find that article again.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
And you want to shoot cast bullets in a .243 because???????????????  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Lucky Joe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »
trotterlg,

I have this brand new Handi .243 and I've had it for a number of years. I bought it because I've never had a rifle like this .223, .243 etc.. I do a lot of casting and now I'm getting ready to ring this one out. I just wondered if many shot cast in these guns, I don't have to shoot cast if it's better not to. Casting is just something I do and it's always worked well up to now. It's OK I don't mind loading and shooting copper, I was just curious that's all, asking questions, exploring before I start. I'd hate to learn the hard way been there done that. Thanks.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »
Just curious, it is an unusual question.  I shot some cast in a Handi chambered in 30 Carbine, 170gr linotype lubed, and they shot well, but the 100gr short jacket bullets shot better.  The cast were doing about 1000fps, it was fun, I just don't know what I would do with them.  A .243 usually runs real well when it gets close to 4000fps with little bitty bullets.  Larry